Fj80 electric locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a line on a couple FJ80 electric lockers to put in the front of my FJ40. They both have the custom made shaft to go along with it. I can get one for about $400-500 with the custome shaft. My question is, should I save up and get a ARB or go with the electric locker. Which one will last me longer and will be more reliable. I know nothing about these so any help would be great. It also comes with all the electronics to hook it up.

Thanks
Cacy

I think I would take an FJ80 locker if I could find one with shafts at that price. In fact, I know I would. If you decide you don't want them, let me know. j_pitts@ix.netcom.com

That said, I can only think of one situation where I would not want an electric locker-- if I you wanted to have front and rear selectable lockers, and if you don't have a FF rear end, then you are going to have at least one ARB for the back, so you might as well have two. A matched set if you will.

jared

That price is awesome! If you add the price of shafts in to my e-lockers, my sets would be $500 and $475. Not sure what you mean by "includes all the electonics"...do you mean includes the actuators? It better... Or maybe includes wiring and dash switches? That'd be sweet too. And yes, don't forget the FF rear you need (if you don't already have it) if you want to do the rear also. Also, if it hasn't been done recently, you may as well rebuild the axle assembly when you do the swap. So that's another ~$100. Anyways, DO IT! Most the 80s guys that have 'em absolutely love 'em. Only thing is they supposedly engage a little slower than ARBs... :'( :p I freakin' can't wait for mine to be all done. T-minus ~3 weeks for me!!!

And ya, if you do pass on it, or only need one and know of more, let us know, I'll throw in for second in line behind Jared.

-Ferg-

The guy got back to me and he wants $550 fot it amd it comes with all the wiring that is needed to hook it up and also instructions how to wire it up. It only has one special made shaft and the other one he says you use the stock shaft. He says that it has everything and it is in good working order. I have a detroit in the rear of mine now and I do not have a FF rear. So I quess this sounds like it is a pretty good deal. If anyone has experience with these I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

[quote author=megolfer link=board=1;threadid=7432;start=msg62400#msg62400 date=1068683350]
The guy got back to me and he wants $550 fot it amd it comes with all the wiring that is needed to hook it up and also instructions how to wire it up. It only has one special made shaft and the other one he says you use the stock shaft. He says that it has everything and it is in good working order. I have a detroit in the rear of mine now and I do not have a FF rear. So I quess this sounds like it is a pretty good deal. If anyone has experience with these I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks
[/quote]

That's a good deal. When you say one special shaft and the other one is stock...you are talking about the two in the same axle assembly right? If so, yes, for the front of your 40, the long side (aka left side or driver's side) inner shaft has longer splines than a stock shaft, and for the short side (aka right side, passenger side), you use the stock short side inner (so no change on short side). Make sense? There's a couple articles around on it, but they're kinda outdated or don't have much info. Damn it, I need to do a write up on mine don't I... Anyway, I don't see how you could be dissappointed. That's cheaper than an ARB unit alone, not to mention the setup you'd have to do for an ARB, plus you need air. How handy are you? To get it in, it's just a couple bolts and such short of a front axle rebuild. Which isn't hard, just a bit time consuming. Plenty of write-ups on those for sure. The only other things you will need that doesn't sound like are included are a couple of longer diff studs and a diff gasket. If you need the part numbers for the diff studs, I can dig 'em up for ya. And rest assured, if you get it and are puttin' it in and run into trouble, we'll be able to help you out here at IH8MUD for sure. This site rocks man.

-Ferg-

[quote author=megolfer link=board=1;threadid=7432;start=msg62400#msg62400 date=1068683350]

Thanks
[/quote]

When he says one "uses the stock shaft" that tells me one of them is a small high pinion diff for the front. AFAIK the non-lockered 80 series don't have the needed long splined shafts. Make sure the rear long splined shaft is not for an 80 because it will not fit a 40 or a 60. Still $550 for both lockers and shafts is a screaming good deal. I paid almost that much for one e-locker. Jump on this deal. You can always sell the front locker and shaft(s) to an 80 series guy.

Dave

I also thought megolfer might be talking about two e-lockers (a front and a rear), but in his last post, megolfer kept using "it", so I assumed only one. But if one's a front, I believe you are correct Dave.

Anyway, megolfer, this brings up a good point. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. What axle(s) are the shafts for? A 40 or an 80? One or two e-lockers? Both from REARs of 80s? Or one from front and one from rear? You might already know all that, but from this thread, it's not quite clear.

-Ferg-

Sorry for not being clear, This is a electric locker out of the rear of a fj80. It was installed into the front of a Fj40 axle. It has the custome made long shaft that comes with it, the shaft is brand new and has no miles on it. I have the studs for the housing already, I bought the axle housing from him already. I also have a line on another electric locker but that one is still not a sure thing. They guy wants $550 for all of it including the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom