FJ80 completely dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, went to start my cruiser yesterday morning to find it completely dead. Lights, locks etc not working. Didn’t even make starting sound when turning key.

I haven’t been driving as much during the lockdown, but for it to never have a starting issue even when it sits a couple days to completely no power at all seems odd. I don’t think I left any lights on or anything. Going to try to jump it with my gf’s car today and see if it does anything.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

You'll need a multi-meter to trouble shoot this. If you don't have one or know how to use one, ask a friend that does to help you out. Without a meter, it's just guesswork. Troubleshooting electrical problems on a forum is like putting toothpaste back in the tube - yeah, it's possible. But it's slow and tedious.

Get a meter for sure. Do things like the headlights work or windows? The first thing you need to determine is whether it is a starter issue or an electrical issue.

It can not be a starter because lamps, locks do not working :) It must be fusible link or battery.

It seems like a battery or fusible link issue to me. A couple months ago there was an issue with the fusible link and I thought I fixed it. I might just need to replace it but going to try to jump first

While it’s prob just the battery, get a new fusible link.

They are damn near a wear item.

Get a cheap trickle charger, if you have a draw somewhere a trickle charge will make that battery last alot longer.

If the battery is dead, the question is does it not hold a charge (bad battery), did not get charged (charging system issue), or did something drain it while it sat (parasitic draw).

A battery can fail without other issues. A dropped cell is not uncommon on a wet cell battery and then you are stranded.

How old is the battery? As others have said, get a meter and measure the voltage, should be around 12.8V if the battery is healthy and fully charged. Then turn on your headlights (whether they light or not) and measure the voltage across the battery again.

Check the obvious, that the battery terminals are tight. Fusible links of course are a common failure, but usually not all at the same time.

cheers,
george.

This happened to me about a year ago. It was corrosion on the battery cables just before the terminals.

You can listen to guesses all you want. The only logical way it to buy a meter. You can get a cheap on for $10. Start at battery and work your way down stream. This will save you time and money

You can listen to guesses all you want. The only logical way it to buy a meter. You can get a cheap on for $10. Start at battery and work your way down stream. This will save you time and money
I agree. I would first have the battery tested. A dead battery could either mean that it doesn't hold a charge or that something drained it.

as many have said above culprit may be the infamous fusible link! I was in this situation too.

as many have said above culprit may be the infamous fusible link! I was in this situation too.
Let's all remember that there are 3 fusible links off the positive battery terminal that feed 3 different sub-systems. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that all 3 failed.
The fact that the OP has no power to multiple sub-systems points to the power source. Dead battery or faulty battery terminal.
Again, without a meter to check the most basic things first, this is all conjecture.

@SD FJ80 - do you own a multimeter?

IDK b/c it’s not a “hand tool” of sorts, but maybe Autozone lends them until you decide to buy one.

They are exceedingly useful - I have 2 Flukes that I jump to enough they paid for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom