fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
decided to do a little write up for the 1FZ-FE PS pump since i didnt see one in FAQ.

this follows the FSM but i try to add better detail and explanations. this particular pump came from a '96 LX450

first thing is to remove the pump from the car https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/40209-1fz-power-steering-pump-replacement.html

next go to a bench and wipe down if necessary just to get extra crud off.

first thing is to check rotational preload. this tells you if you have a dragging bearing or vanes in the pump spec is 2.4 in-lbs or less. my pump was in spec.

second is to remove the suction port, uses a 12mm socket or wrench.

third is to remove the pulley, use a 12pt 17mm socket and my 3/8 impact.
SDC10734.jpg
SDC10735.jpg
SDC10740.jpg

Last edited:
since the throat on my press was too narrow i had to use the clamshell set with its puller to remove the gear.

remove the woodruff key from the shaft. i used some very minor persuasion with a small chisel and hammer.

next remove the rear snap ring. i found that digging it out with a pick worked way better than fighting two screwdrivers. in reality its kind of a bitch no matter what.
SDC10741.jpg
SDC10743.jpg
SDC10750.jpg

remove the high pressure port, flow valve and spring. note orientation for reassembly. 24mm socket

last pic shows the rear snap ring, notice the taper on one end so you can grab it with a pick
SDC10745.jpg
SDC10748.jpg
SDC10752.jpg

Last edited:
once the rear snap rings comes out. remove the rear cover. the FSM recommends tapping on a table to get it to fall out. there is an o-ring on the cover so it wont fall off.

under the lid is a spring washer, note orientation.

under the spring is the rear plate. i had to tap on the desk to get the plate and rotor/vane assembly to fall out.
SDC10754.jpg
SDC10757.jpg
SDC10805.jpg

after the rotor/vane assembly comes out you have to remove shaft. start by removing the snap ring on the front of the pump.

next tap out the shaft from the backside with a brass drift.

once the shaft is out, you can remove the front plate. i had to use a small slide hammer set that i use for doing pilot bearings.
SDC10759.jpg
SDC10764.jpg
SDC10761.jpg

next you need to remove the shaft seal. its removed from the back with a driver of some sort. you could probably use the blind hole puller here too.

also shown is the part number for the reseal kit. ran about 65$ through the dealer.
SDC10782.jpg
SDC10762.jpg
SDC10766.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job as all ways gnob! sweet!

so at this point the pump is totally disassembled. take a few minutes to clean it all up with solvent or brake cleaner. take a break for a frosty beverage if need be.

so the rebuild starts with installing the new front seal. this is a double lip seal but still needs to be installed the right way.

use a socket to install the seal. the seal needs to be at the bottom of the pocket, notice the reveal above the seal to the front of the pump. according to FSM it should be 3.4mm below the lip.
SDC10780.jpg
SDC10785.jpg
SDC10782.jpg

i swapped a new shaft bearing while it was out. the customer said it had been making some noise so cheap insurance. 10$ bearing #6203V

place in housing as such. press bearing and shaft home. note the bearing below the snap ring groove.
SDC10778.jpg
SDC10786.jpg
SDC10788.jpg

so this shows the long pin installed into the housing.

next pic is of the o-rings supplied with the kit. the three large o-rings are the same as the ID of the pump and get installed onto the plates and rear cover.

the front plate uses two o-rings. one of the large and the largest of the smaller three.
SDC10799.jpg
SDC10768.jpg
SDC10773.jpg

Last edited:
at this point, the front plate can be installed over the long pin.

notice the polishing of material for orientation upon assembly. install rotor.

when installing the rotor and vanes. its easier to install the rotor to the assembly and then install the vanes one by one. the rounded edge of the vane goes to the outside.
SDC10800.jpg
SDC10802.jpg
SDC10804.jpg

Last edited:
so i missed these.

the kit comes with 6 o-rings and 3 snap rings.

the 3 large rings are for the plates as explained.

the smaller o-rings are as follows.

the largest goes to the inside of the front side plate.

the medium goes on the pressure port union

the smallest goes on the suction port

the snap rings are from left to right: rear cover, front bearing, shaft bearing.
SDC10774.jpg
SDC10775.jpg
SDC10776.jpg

Last edited:
I used to think Toyota was good about selling you all the junk you need but I now know they don't..

Nice write up Gnob.. I have to do this some day soon I believe..

Great write up indeed. Thanks.

Romer added the to 80 faq :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom