FJ80, a good buy in today's market? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just for an update: I regrettably ended up moving on from my Cruiser last month. This wasn't for lack of help and advice on this site; however. In fact, this is the best automotive forum I've ever come across. Even though I'm still very much a rookie when it comes to working on cars, I still feel I've learned a lot in my time owning this 25-year old heavy duty vehicle that I really had no business owning in the first place.

For better or worse, I bought into all the hype and FOMO last summer and handed over much of my savings against the warnings of experienced members for an aging solid axle truck I never thought I'd get the chance to own.

Here's to my year-long FZJ80 ownership experience. Thanks again to everyone.

The day I got it
1661005095845.jpeg

First time taking it camping
1661005169847.jpeg

Out in the snowstorm
1661005269458.jpeg

Crossing the Upper Buffalo
1661005316293.jpeg

Botching a brake booster replacement
1661005394518.jpeg

Taking the dog out
1661005463899.jpeg

Staying at the cabin for fieldwork
1661005523556.jpeg

Making a mess of a simple thermostat replacement
1661005591568.jpeg

My last day with it
1661005633770.jpeg

Fair enough, but I've been seeing 300k mile examples going for 20k on the west coast.
Within the last couple months I had this experience.

I posted my 230k mint condition locked 93 for $24k and I had two commuted buyers at asking within a week on putting the ad on Craigslist.
I backed out of selling it. This is in the Bay Area.

As to my thoughts on the original question posed, the J8 Land Cruiser was incredible value 5-15 years ago when they were still more or less in their service life envisioned by Toyota and could be had for a song. Now they've gone from being seen as outdated off-road beaters to fashionable classic SUVs in the public eye. Until the last few years they were only sought after by the off-road and enthusiast community. In the meantime, their issues are only compounding with age.

So I suppose I'd say they're only a good buy today if you have a fair amount of money to burn and are committed to the grind. It’s similar with any older truck but Land Cruiser parts are particularly expensive, and many of the repairs are quite labour-intensive, like the bearings and valve stem seals for example.

I don’t mean to complain. It was my choice to get the Cruiser and my choice to get rid of it. In the end it just didn’t quite suit my needs, so I downsized to another minitruck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom