FJ70 Need help choosing and finding diff lockers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.

I spent hours reading about diff lockers and I came out with two things:

The best option for me would be a cable operated diff locker, but I can't find one for land cruisers (unless the option for dana diffs whatever will work?)

The second option is the powertrax no-slip locker
It's advertised as a quite locker unlike all the aussie lockers, but I need feedback on this please. My truck spends most of it's time on asphalt.

The powertrax has two options, 3001 and 3005, one is for a 8" diff and the other is for a 9.5" diff. Which size are FJ70 rear and front diffs?

Is someone could find a cable operated option, or a factory elocker option that doesn't require a ton of work and sourcing obscure parts I would very much appreciate it. Thank you

ARB air lockers or Harrop E-locker.

If you are on pavement the majority of the time, I would go selectible locker. I believe ARB is running a promotion buy a locker, get a compressor for free.

I’ve had ARBs in 3 separate rigs and Toyota factory E lockers in 2. I’ve only had to work on the Toyota ones, mainly because of the actuators getting messed up.

Toyota made cable lockers for the 60/70 series but those are hard to find. Nothing that is made for a Dana will work on a Toyota.

If you wan to use elockers, you can instal back a diff from a kzj90/95, and in front, fom a hdj80, in this case changing the ratio, crown and pinion.

ARB air lockers or Harrop E-locker.

If you are on pavement the majority of the time, I would go selectible locker. I believe ARB is running a promotion buy a locker, get a compressor for free.

I’ve had ARBs in 3 separate rigs and Toyota factory E lockers in 2. I’ve only had to work on the Toyota ones, mainly because of the actuators getting messed up.

Toyota made cable lockers for the 60/70 series but those are hard to find. Nothing that is made for a Dana will work on a Toyota.

Hello,

x2.

60/70 Series had cable lockers until around 1990. That makes them hard to find.

Unless you drive in a very cold climate, an ARB air locker is good enough.

Check ARB's web site for options on 70 Series Lockers.

A Harrop E-locker is another good choice. Drop @wardharris a note if you want to know more.

Some 70 Series have Dana 60 axles but I believe that is not your case.

Juan

I need help identifying the size of my axles, I think both would be 9.5". Please see the attached image.

So the axle is K082, this following link says it's a 9.5" and an 8" reverse cut at the same time. What? See the last X in the 08 row.

Hello,

It s pretty much correct.

K082 indicates a 9.5 in. open differential. Your axle ratio is 4.11:1. I think this is the most common axle found in the 70 Series.

On the other hand -and from the model code- your FJ70 is standard grade with manual transmission. You got an H55F, a good gearbox.

Juan

Hello,

It s pretty much correct.

K082 indicates a 9.5 in. open differential. Your axle ratio is 4.11:1. I think this is the most common axle found in the 70 Series.

On the other hand -and from the model code- your FJ70 is standard grade with manual transmission. You got an H55F, a good gearbox.

Juan

Thank you

In this case both front and rear axles (third members) are exactly the same correct?

Thank you

In this case both front and rear axles (third members) are exactly the same correct?

Hello,

That is correct.

While you decide your locker, you may want to replace the differential seals. They leak in old age, and expose the oil to contaminants.

Juan

Hello,

That is correct.

While you decide your locker, you may want to replace the differential seals. They leak in old age, and expose the oil to contaminants.

Juan

Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom