FJ62's Overheating. Several of us don't know why. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a motor swap in a fj73 . The donor motor was from a 62 fan/clutch an all. The new fan roars like a tornado. The old one was working but I could barely hear it.
I can clearly hear this one kick in on the highway, and the temp drops really quickly. The old one was not as loud but was still engaging.

I did a motor swap in a fj73 . The donor motor was from a 62 fan/clutch an all. The new fan raws like a tornado. The old one was working but I could barely hear it.
I can clearly hear this one kick in on the highway, and the temp drops really quickly. The old one was not as loud but was still engaging.
So did you replace just the fan or the clutch as well? If it was just the fan maybe its possible it was flexing to much and not pulling enough air? I honestly have no idea what the fan in mine came out of but the clutch is a new aisin.

both. It seemed to make a big difference. Like the temp gauge dropping from just over half mark to 1/4 mark 2 minutes after the fan kicks in on the highway.
Sounds like it was more likely the clutch than the fan in your case. Your old clutch probably leaked the fluid out or lost its "efficiency". Did you notice any difference in the rigidity of the fans? I'm willing to explore this as I'm running out of other ideas...

Not that I recall, but the new fan has the fins/ribs on the back of them.
Gotcha, mine does too but I'll pay attention to the rigidity of it tomorrow. You have me curious.

If you can hear the fan kick in and roar on the open road, it's probably a/ok. If not it's definitely worth exploring.

The old clutch was working. I sat and watched it a couple of times for 10 minutes @ about 1000rpm and it kicked in and the air volume increased a lot. but it was nowhere near as loud, and I never heard it on the open road like the new one. Could have lost some of its fluid I suppose.

Last edited:
If you can hear the fan kick in and roar on the open road, it's probably a/ok. If not it's definitely worth exploring.
You got me thinking actually. I remember driving up to Truckee and there being about a 5 mile grade that remained the same the entire time. I remember, however, that the temp would climb high and then cool back to normal. Rinse and repeat a few times. I thought that was weird. I kept thinking it was the thermostat which I replaced. Is it possible the new fan clutch is set to kick in at a temp that is too high? I just found another thread that seems to indicate it being a possibility and that it is adjustable. I have a spare fan clutch in SF that I can experiment with.

would climb high and then cool back to normal. Rinse and repeat
Exactly what mine does due to the fan kicking in.
One reason I have some suspicions about the fans, is that many here over the years don't hear the roar, or barely hear it., so I dunno what make of it.
But, it's not unrealistic to imagine that some viscous fans are better than others.

One experiment to try is to lock the fan somehow so it always is engaged. If it never overheats that would be a clue.

Exactly what mine does due to the fan kicking in.
One reason I have some suspicions about the fans, is that many here over the years don't hear the roar, or barely hear it., so I dunno what make of it.
But, it's not unrealistic to imagine that some viscous fans are better than others.

One experiment to try is to lock the fan somehow so it always is engaged. If it never overheats that would be a clue.
I'm not sure I can differentiate engine noise from fan noise now. The engine screams whenever I step on it. I guess maybe I thought that was fan noise the whole time? I'll pay closer attention and try to find a longer sustained grade hill to see if there is a moment that the sound changes and correlates to a temp drop. It's possible the hills I've been testing against are long enough to get the temps to climb but not long enough for the clutch to properly kick in. That's why drops to normal temp take so long after a climb. This being said, sounds like my engine is not in any real risk. I just thought it was weird because my dad's 62 does not behave like mine but he's still running the stock clutch.

Are you using an OEM fan clutch or an aftermarket unit?

Mark...

Are you using an OEM fan clutch or an aftermarket unit?

Mark...
Wow. I'm running an Aisin but it looks like the wrong one. Sounds like I need an FCT-049 but I believe I'm running the FCT-017 which was recommended as an oem replacement. I'm going to be pissed off if that's what it is.

Wow. I'm running an Aisin but it looks like the wrong one. Sounds like I need an FCT-049 but I believe I'm running the FCT-017 which was recommended as an oem replacement. I'm going to be pissed off if that's what it is.

If it is OEM or recommended OEM compatible then it is probably not the problem. However many of the aftermarket units sold for the FJ62 are (or were when I quit using them a few years back) insufficient for the rig. They are a semi-universal unit aimed at "import compacts". Designed for a smaller fan, higher radiator heat and higher engine speeds. They never lock up hard enough to pull the air that they need to pull. When I last used them, there were several brands sold under different names that were all the same damn piece of Chinese made junk, just boxed differently.

Mark...

I saw an article or video recently, don’t remember which, where someone was talking about counterfeit aisin parts being sold on eBay and Amazon. Where did you source your fan clutch? If it had a little sticker that says “aisin” then it is likely counterfeit.

What is the difference between FCT-049 and FCT-017? I have a new FCT-017 and potential overheating issues. and I have not driven it enough to hear the roar, it overheated on the maiden voyage but that might have been user error and a burping issue.

Update. And Went ahead and ordered the FCT-049. Did some searches. Haven't heard the FCT-017 spool up yet. I can possibly take apart the FCT-017 and use my RC shock oil and try a different viscosity later.

Last edited:
I saw an article or video recently, don’t remember which, where someone was talking about counterfeit aisin parts being sold on eBay and Amazon. Where did you source your fan clutch? If it had a little sticker that says “aisin” then it is likely counterfeit.
Mine has a little sticker on it that says Aisin... Purchased from Amazon...

Mine has a little sticker on it that says Aisin... Purchased from Amazon...
Little gold sticker? I believe that’s a counterfeit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom