FJ62 Transmission. Slow shifting...shifts when letting off the accelerator. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok... so I'm not a much of a wrencher... just looking for advice to throw at my mechanic.

I have an 88 FJ62 with about 220K on the odometer.

It shifts great until it tries to shift into 2nd, sometimes 3rd. If you back off on the accelerator it will shift no problem.

Had the kickdown cable adjusted multiple times. Had the transmission fluid changed and filter/pan pulled and cleaned and she still has the same issue.

Just wondering if their is anything else that is perhaps being overlooked. I can't afford a new transmission.

Any and all advice appreciated. Really don't want to sell her with only 220K on the clock.

Is the kickdown cable in good condition? moving freely in it's tube, not stretched to it's max adjustment? What happens when you disconnect the cable? ..... Flushed and replaced with synthetic atf If you haven't already could help. Sounds like fluid pressure problem. Don't know how you feel about additives, but if the trans is on its way out, that may be worth a try.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Is the kickdown cable in good condition? moving freely in it's tube, not stretched to it's max adjustment? What happens when you disconnect the cable? ..... Flushed and replaced with synthetic atf If you haven't already could help. Sounds like fluid pressure problem. Don't know how you feel about additives, but if the trans is on its way out, that may be worth a try.
Good luck.

Thanks so much pithicus.

I've passed the info on to the mechanic. I really appreciate the input. At this point anything is worth a try :)

The valve body in the trans can be replaced/rebuilt separately from the trans itself. The problem is cost and know-how. In my area only a couple shops were qualified and willing to do the rebuild at the astronomical cost of $6200.
Don't get rid of her, maybe convert the truck to a 4spd or 5 spd. I loved the automatic too because I have never had one before, but the truck will be fun to drive as a manual and I hear it is much more responsive.

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies.

It turns out it was bad gas. During a second fuel pressure test some fuel spurted out and he noticed it looked/smelled a little off. Drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and she is running better than she ever has. I am so thankful. He was a little confused because she would idle incredibly well and it wasn't until hitting about second gear there was a a lack of power and shifting issues.

Being a regular customer.He didn't charge me labor for quite a lot of the rabbit holes he investigated. Incredibly great mechanic.

So now I've had a fuel tank clean out, fuel filter replaced, throttle body cleaned, kick down cable adjustment, rebuilt alternator, new EGR valve and a complete transmission flush and strainer clean up... among a few other things.

His advice was to use Seafoam every other tank to prevent future issues.

I do have a Hayden trans cooler, so I'm good to go on that ! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom