Fj62 speed on hills? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

11mpg around town is possible. I once recorded 17 mpg on road trip through Banff/Jasper.

it is in Canada, you sure it wasn't kilometers per gallon?

Drove my 60 over the Rockies on I70. 3rd gear with hazards on tucked in with the semis in the rightmost lane.

it is in Canada, you sure it wasn't kilometers per gallon?

Pretty sure I calculated correctly. Couldn't believe it either. Maybe I'll get another chance to take the ole beast on a long road trip next summer, up the Dalton or Dempster, and see what that registers.

I got almost 18mpg on a tank of gas. It was all downhill coming out of the Rockies.

I live in California, so motor swap would be a pain. Too bad I was looking for something older that was cool to drive on trips.

Same difficulty as anywhere else (I have done it...) as far as the swap. Any newer engine is allowed as long as it came from a light duty vehicle and will have equal or less smog junk than what is on there now.

>FJ62

>speed

>hills

LOL- Raff out Roud.jpg

Get it? Because Toyota is Japanese....

Love this thread.

Hills and Speed and FJ62 should never be combined into a single sentence. I love my 89' but when it comes to getting somewhere fast or over big hills, I've learned through multiple overheating issues that patience is your best friend on a long road trip.

When I am fully-loaded and its hot out in CA, I can usually keep a good 60mph on flat stretches, but if there is an incline the needle on my temperature gauge is going to start climbing fairly quickly.

The best thing you can do with these trucks ( without modifying them) is to get a digital temperature gauge, throw on some good tunes and enjoy your trip.

yeah this has been a fun and lively one!

@Grog420 - let us know what you end up doing. hopefully all this rambling has helped you one way or another.

I accelerate up hills in 5th gear where before I would be dogging it at 55mph. I drive 80mph every week on the beltway. On the highway I usually go the speed limit, which is usually 70 or 75 around here. I did some other work to my 3FE but the H55F is the biggest performance booster you can do, with the original engine.

I accelerate up hills in 5th gear where before I would be dogging it at 55mph. I drive 80mph every week on the beltway. On the highway I usually go the speed limit, which is usually 70 or 75 around here. I did some other work to my 3FE but the H55F is the biggest performance booster you can do, with the original engine.

Hills in Florida don’t count. 😂

Just throwing my 2 cents out there, but ive been driving my stock fj62 for 5 years now and honestly never really had a problem going up the mountains of Southwest VA. Just got to remember to get some rolling speed before hitting the hills and you wont loose that much speed. Also when i was about 18 and first started driving it i did put it over 100 on the original 3FE which i would not recommend, its about the dumbest thing ive.

When it comes to driving a 60 series it just takes a certain driving style to be able to tackle hills properly.

I'm Looking at purchasing a 1989 and I've never driven one. I've heard they are under powered. 155 hp isn't alot. I was wondering about cruising speed and hills?

The FJ62 has good torque, but, not much HP. The speed up hills is directly related to the tire size. To keep any pep at all do not go bigger than 31 inch x 15 tires. When mine had the original 28" size tires on the original rims it was noticeably faster up hills. I run 31 inch all-terrains now on the stock rims with an EMU lift and I go down to 3rd gear and run 3700 rpm up the grapevine going North - so, from Castaic Lake up the Grape vine to Pyramid Lake, I can stay in this gear and rpm. This keeps me in the 2nd and 3rd lane, passing a surprising number of cars and trucks. This is a long tough climb with many lanes where people really goose their cars, ie. a lot overheat.. I am not convinced that the auto tranny hurts you climbing hills.

Otherwise, with 31's you are mostly in overdrive on the fwy. If you are really going fast in overdrive and you want to maintain that speed when you come up to an incline, sometimes, you will have to downshift to 3rd gear also.

These trucks are all about gearing and being in the sweet spot under heavy load, so, you have to think more and plan more.

Last edited:
The FJ62 has good torque, but, not much HP. The speed up hills is directly related to the tire size. To keep any pep at all do not go bigger than 31 inch x 15 tires. When mine had the original 28" size tires on the original rims it was noticeably faster up hills. I run 31 inch all-terrains now on the stock rims with an EMU lift and I go down to 3rd gear and run 3700 rpm up the grapevine going North - so, from Castaic Lake up the Grape vine to Pyramid Lake, I can stay in this gear and rpm. This keeps me in the 2nd and 3rd lane, passing a surprising number of cars and trucks. This is a long tough climb with many lanes where people really goose their cars, ie. a lot overheat.. I am not convinced that the auto tranny hurts you climbing hills.

Otherwise, with 31's you are mostly in overdrive on the fwy. If you are really going fast in overdrive and you want to maintain that speed when you come up to an incline, sometimes, you will have to downshift to 3rd gear also.

These trucks are all about gearing and being in the sweet spot under heavy load, so, you have to think more and plan more.
Its interesting your point about tire size. Mine originally had 30s on it but i replaced them with 33s and it seems i have less of a problem going up hills. My acceleration is slower but i can actually go faster up the hills. Its definitely keeping my operating RPM at highway speeds lower than with the 30s.

155HP is only going to overcome so much road load. Adding in the losses from the transmission dutifully turning useful power into waste heat you probably have like 120HP at the drive shaft, maybe less. HJDCA uses a method that I use in my 80 when towing and that is to hold it in 3rd. That also locks the torque converter which reduces some of the turning of useful power into waste heat allowing the trans to run cooler saving wear/tear and even some gas. At that point going faster would require the engine to produce peak torque at a higher and higher RPM which can be done with the right modifications but only so much due to the 3FE's relatively low redline.

I had a 3FE in my 60 (4.11's 33's) and with the H55F I could hold 65MPH up the 163 northbound climb out of Mission Valley in San Diego which is quite steep. Loaded with gear towing my camp trailer I'd be in 3rd at 40-45MPH. The 2F was in 2nd at 35-40MPH under similar circumstances.

Sometimes part of enjoying a 60/62 is letting the truck just be what it is in all of its uniqueness. If the slowness becomes too much of a burden, well, mud has eon's worth of reading on all the ways folks have addressed that character quirk.

Frank

Its interesting your point about tire size. Mine originally had 30s on it but i replaced them with 33s and it seems i have less of a problem going up hills. My acceleration is slower but i can actually go faster up the hills. Its definitely keeping my operating RPM at highway speeds lower than with the 30s.

On hills, it depends on where your top out speed lands. You have only so much power to overcome road load but once torque starts to taper off you have usually reached your max speed. This phenomenon is exacerbated by the huge gear ratio gap between 3rd and 4th gear. You can often find you top out 3rd but cannot hold speed in 4th. The larger tires move that top out speed upwards allowing you to reach a higher speed.

Of course that also reduces overall thrust in 3rd so there will be the occasional grade that puts you in 2nd gear where you might have been able to pull in 3rd with 31's. ...

Frank

On hills, it depends on where your top out speed lands. You have only so much power to overcome road load but once torque starts to taper off you have usually reached your max speed. This phenomenon is exacerbated by the huge gear ratio gap between 3rd and 4th gear. You can often find you top out 3rd but cannot hold speed in 4th. The larger tires move that top out speed upwards allowing you to reach a higher speed.

Of course that also reduces overall thrust in 3rd so there will be the occasional grade that puts you in 2nd gear where you might have been able to pull in 3rd with 31's. ...

Frank
That makes a lot of sens. Now does the width of the tire make a difference too? if you have less rubber on the road would that mean you have less rolling resistance or is that negligible?

Width definitely increases rolling and aero resistance and thus road load. Whether it is negligible is tough to say without driving each. If you rarely drive in an area with long freeway hills it will be less of an issue. Where I live it can be very noticeable.

However, if you wanted to work the tire angle, and I have done this on past vehicles, get a set of smooth light weight car tires for the street and swap to some gnarly off road monsters for the trail. Then you will not only enjoy the benefits of both but really get to see what a large difference tires can make.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom