FJ62 Radio Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I just bought an '88 Fj62 as a trail rig and the PO removed the stereo prior to sale. I have read that the Scion units are plug and play, but is there any reason why the units from 4Runners, Camrys, etc. would not work?

By the way, I love driving this rig. I have not logged many hours in a 62...these are pretty stout and it's nice to have fuel injection for high altitude trails here in Colorado.

Tons of info on the 62 radio options from double DIN to Scion units - do a quick search.

The Scion units are a direct bolt in but you'll need to trim the face plate on each side to get it to fit the 62 dash opening. About 20 minutes w/ a dremmel tool and you're good to go - and yes they are a direct plug-and-play with the stock 62 wiring harnesses.

I'm using a JBL 6 disk unit out of a Tundra. No triming of the dash. The reason I used this one is the look and color were real close to the factory unit. But then the 89 had a different radio then the 88.

Not all units are plug and play. Some units like mine are a head unit with a external amp. The factory wiring harness plugs into the amp and the amp plugs into head unit. The standard plugs Toyota used starting in 1987 changed in some models around 2000. Then changed in more models when steering wheel controls were added. I know my 2000 LC isn't the same but the Tundra unit for the same year is. Maybe all Scion units are plug and play I don't know. I do know I seen head units for sale alll the time on eBay. Unless you have the amp that will work with it then it's not plug and play. Then to confuse things more Toyota changed it standard plug between the head unit and amp in 2000.

I did do a search and found the Scion info. However, the PO had some other stereo installed at one point and the factory harness/connection looks to be gone. This should make it interesting. I may be better off buying something from Best Buy and letting their techs figure it out.

Built in amp or get the amp that goes with the radio. What I did was buy a single disk head unit and amp out of a Tundra and then buy a six disk head unit and used my same amp with it. Both were from 2000 Tundras. As far as wiring probably get that out of a nineties Toyota. To bad the PO didn't buy the kit that lets you make up harness to plug into the factory harness. That's what I did for my son-in-law in his 80 series when he had to have a custom stereo. That way when he decides to sell it to me I can plug and play a factory unit.

I fantasize about This one. Double DIN, so it'll fit perfectly. Only prohibiting factor is price...

Are there any year models of Scion radio that work better than others? Is there a radio option that has the internal amp that does not require trimming of the dash?

Are there any year models of Scion radio that work better than others? Is there a radio option that has the internal amp that does not require trimming of the dash?

Some of the new units allow to change the display color.

Most scion displays are red, but several offer a rainbow of colors including GREEN.

I fantasize about This one. Double DIN, so it'll fit perfectly. Only prohibiting factor is price...
I warn you, if you are willing to do some heavy duty trimming of your dash and the radio faceplate, you might say its an OEM fit. It is a nice radio and it does sound good, but I'm not happy with having to cut up my dash. I didn't invest a lot of money, about $50 including shipping, but I would have liked to have kept the dash totally stock. On my radio, the brackets mount up perfectly on the radio, mine was out of a 2007 Scion xB, but when you install the radio, its angled wrong for the 62 dash. On mine the wiring harness was intact and plugged right in. That's about all the did fit.

I warn you, if you are willing to do some heavy duty trimming of your dash and the radio faceplate, you might say its an OEM fit. It is a nice radio and it does sound good, but I'm not happy with having to cut up my dash. I didn't invest a lot of money, about $50 including shipping, but I would have liked to have kept the dash totally stock. On my radio, the brackets mount up perfectly on the radio, mine was out of a 2007 Scion xB, but when you install the radio, its angled wrong for the 62 dash. On mine the wiring harness was intact and plugged right in. That's about all the did fit.

Are you talking about that Alpine or going the Scion radio route? From the looks of how the opening in my dash lines up with the bracketry, a double DIN will fit perfectly. I know the Scion radios have a bit of an odd shape that requires some trimming though.

Or are you talking about putting a double DIN into a 60 dash? :D

It shouldn't be necessary to trim the dash in any modern double DIN head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom