FJ62 Cracked Head Options/Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am purchasing a 88 FJ62 that cracked the head and the owner now wants to sell. The rig has 145k miles and I am debating on the best course of action for getting her back up and running and I would love some feedback or opinions from the group here. As I see it, I have a few options without breaking the bank.

1. Take the existing cracked head to a machine shop and have them evaluate if the crack is something that could be "repaired" and then gone through (magna fluxed, reconditioned, etc.)

or

2. I found a FJ62 owner who is pulling his engine for a LS swap, and I could get the complete 3FE engine for around $1200. This motor has about 250k miles, however it does run well and no problems as reported by him. Would you go this route and pull the head from this donor motor and have it gone through by a machine shop and then swap that FJ I'm buying? The benefit here is maybe the additional parts that would be left from the donor motor in case anything else was needed down the road?

or

3. Is there a reputable shop/source for rebuilt 3FE heads online that people have used? Is it better/easier/faster to go that route and purchase an already remanufactured head? Please post a link if so.

Lastly, I've read many posts about using only the Toyota OEM head gaskets. Is there a preferred site online for this and any of the other gaskets/hoses?

Thanks so much!

is the head off the engine right now? has it been checked?
no saying the used engine doesn't have a cracked head also
a good head that has been gone thru will run $1000-1200
a good old school engine shop can do the work on the head
what is the selling price?
@cruisermatt is a good resource in FL but I don't think he is close to Jacksonville

is the head off the engine right now? has it been checked?
no saying the used engine doesn't have a cracked head also
a good head that has been gone thru will run $1000-1200
a good old school engine shop can do the work on the head
what is the selling price?
@cruisermatt is a good resource in FL but I don't think he is close to Jacksonville

Yes, the head is off the engine now. The shop the owner took it to, removed to diagnose the issue and they discovered it was cracked. That is where they stopped.

It has not been inspected by a machine shop yet. That would be my first to truly evaluate condition/options. If anyone happens to have recommendations for a good machine shop in NE Florida, please post.

I see @cruisermatt is in the Orlando area. Not too far away. Willing to travel for the right work.

@MacDaddyRabbit might have a good recommendation for machine shop in Jax.

No 3FE heads in stock here could be definitely help source one, have rebuilt and install.

Sorry to read about the cracked head.
I took my 82 FJ40 head to a machine shop about 5-6 yrs ago. I can't remember the name but know where it is. if interested I'll swing by and get the name. It's been fine since installed..

Hey Cruiusermatt... I gotta get down and see your shop sometime... Hope you're well.

Sorry to read about the cracked head.
I took my 82 FJ40 head to a machine shop about 5-6 yrs ago. I can't remember the name but know where it is. if interested I'll swing by and get the name. It's been fine since installed..

Hey Cruiusermatt... I gotta get down and see your shop sometime... Hope you're well.
Yes, @MacDaddyRabbit that would be amazing if you were able to get their name. Thank you!

Consider swapping in the donor motor. If it's a good running 250K motor with good compression numbers.
you could start the swap Saturday morning and drive it to work Monday morning.
:beer: ✌️

Precision Crankshaft Services
466 Lime St.
904-354-1359
Been there forever.. Kinda rough part of town but totally safe there. Next to Copeland Welding/Muffler.. I walked in today and three of the machinists were all bent over cylinder heads or blocks at their respective work stations... All were over 50 YOA at least....grins..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom