FJ62 Intermittent Lifter noise, Oil bypass failure?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Please can anyone help? 1990 FJ62 with approx 25,000 miles on rebuilt motor. Lifter noise, ticking etc, sounds rough, occasionally missing during idle. soft miss really. This problem is random, some days the motor purrs like a kitten. My Mechanic suggested there could be an oil bypass failing to close? As of today he's at a loss to hear noise. Im not crazy I swear, My good old friend a Benz mechanic heard noise suggesting I change oil to conventional and see if it goes away. Noise is gone for about a week. Have been using synthetic oil. until now. Help??? Chris

The amount of slop in the valve train (valve lash) changes with temperature. The hotter everything is, the tighter the valve train gets due to metal expansion and the quieter it gets. These engines are in a different solar system compared to modern overhead cam engines - they're noisy and inconsistently so.
A newly rebuild engine is going to need several valve adjustments as things wear.
Maybe it's time for a valve adjustment.
On these engines, valve train noise is always more noticeable when the engine is cold

If you haven't adjusted the valves in 25K on a rebuilt engine, it's more than due for a valve adjustment. Was it quiet right after the rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom