Fj62 hard start help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A month ago ALL OF THE SUDDEN it requires engine turning over 10-12 times to start. Can smell raw gas after start (can’t find any drips or leaks), then goes away. Runs like normal once starts. No engine codes, new oem gas cap, new oem fuel dampener, good gas, ran Lucas cleaners through my last 5 tanks of fuel. Appreciate any help!

When was the last time you changed the plugs, cap, rotor, leads, air & fuel filters, checked the timing, and adjusted the valves?

Within last 2 years. Timing last year. Valves not in last 4-5 years, but this happened all the sudden so not thinking that’s the issue. Just passed emissions in the last 2 weeks as well. Stumped

2x on the ignition items. My 62 only has trouble starting in wet conditions (rain, heavy dew, etc) and it is ready for a tune up. Considering it doesn't get that wet in southern CA I have been putting it off

Not sure about the 62 but is there a fuel return line check valve? if so perhaps it let go and is dumping all your fuel back to the tank

Does that have the fuel pulsation dampner on the back of the fuel rail?
Does it have the plastic cap to cover the screw? It may be blown, the screw is factory set, and you cant adjust.

This is a problem on the 4Runners, and causes lots of engine fires.
4runners need a crowsfoot wrench to get it off too...

The smell of raw gas makes me think you have a leak on the fuel rail somewhere. Visually check the injectors, cold start injector, fuel pressure regulator etc. Gas smell should be easy to spot. Check return line as it's literally a piece of rubber tubing that can crack and leak.

Starting needs fuel and spark and you are mentioning a fuel smell.

Does it hard start all the time? like if you drive a couple miles, shut it off, and restart does it hard start then or fire up as normal? If it hard starts only after sitting for a while I'm thinking it might be a fuel drain back issue where the supply line is draining back into the tank. Then you have crank for a while to get the fuel back into the rail and pressurized.

That’s what it seems like. It doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold. But if I turn it off and turn it right back on it will start right up. Also, when I swapped out the dampener, no fuel came out. Good thought Seth! Now what would cause that to happen in an instant?

And the fumes I smell on start up are definitely coming from the drivers side engine bay. No visible leaks ever, and no gas smell other than during hard start. The system is definitely depressurizing. The longer it is off is in direct relation to how many cranks it takes to start

On my daily driver it was the fuel pressure regulator. Extremely frustrating. The FPR is readily available in the aftermarket @$80-$90. Just make sure you lubricate the small o-ring (light oil or grease) when pressing into the rail.

Other things that we haven't mentioned yet:
Charcoal canister hoses
Fuel Pressure issue? Could be fuel pump or fuel filter.

I'd start by finding the leak. One of your injectors plastic base which mates to the o-ring may be cracked.

Since happened suddenly, thinking regulator. I’ve checked all hoses, and my filter isn’t old. Plus no issues driving, only starting. Going through everything though, thx for all the input!

If the truck eventually starts and then runs fine I would say the FPR hasn't completely failed. I believe the FPR is just a spring valve or diaphragm that opens and closes above a set pressure. If it were totally failed I don't know that the stock fuel pump can supply enough fuel to overcome a fully failed reg....but these things are all hard to say. A check of the fuel pressure would probably tell a lot.

How old are the injectors? You mave have a faulty/leaky/dribbling injector/cold start injector. So when you shut the engine down, it leaks into the intake (hence gas smell coming out of air cleaner) and also keeps dripping until all pressure is lost from the fuel rail and floods the engine requiring lots of cranking to clear the rich air/fuel mixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom