FJ62 EGR help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I'm technically challenged so I need some help here...I have a 1989 FJ62 with almost 88k miles on it...and it idles rough. The dealership said it needed an EGR valve replaced....I called NAPA to order a part and they said their books don't show a EGR valve, only the gaskets....DUMB QUESTION TO FOLLOW: is it advisable to just try to replace the gasket to see if that is the source of the gasket leak....or should I take it back to the dealer (2 hour drive) for them to service?

Just a note. you might want to check if you have any check engine light codes stored in the memory. Check slowspeed.com for instructions and it is easy to do. It might be an O2 sensors also. I checked the price of a EGR valve with Murrays and they want something like 170 for it. My cruiser was runnin rough but found out it was a disconnected wire in the the wire harness that connects into the mass air flow sensor (found ontop of air filter assembly). If you changed your air filter lately or moved that harness wire around recently you might have dissconnected a wire. Never hurts to check inside the wire harness. I am suprised that a cruiser with such low miles would need a new EGR valve already. Has anybody ever changed their EGR valves and how many miles did you have? I would, in general, try to check if the EGR valve is dirty and working before changing anything I believe that there are some technical data somewhere(sites and forums) that would allow you to do it yourself without too much automotive skills as long as you have the time and hopefully a second car. 88 fj62 w 201k. Hope that helped, good luck.

Thanks,
Luckily Elsie (the Land Cruiser) is not my daily driver...I'm gonna dig a little more into it I think. My concern is that I'll be going on vacation in a month, and because there are 5 of us, the Land Cruiser is the vehicle of choice, despite the poor mpg. I'm also getting new shocks all the way around...one is leaking so I might as well change them all.

Rough idle is often due to a vacuum leak and if the EGR is stuck open, it can cause a massive leak. Check for other vacuum leaks first. Take the EGR off, soak the valve body (but not the rubber vacuum actuator) in carb dip to clean it and free it up. Check for proper operation by pulling a vacuum on it and reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom