FJ62 compressor replacement and 134a conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small update, but the investigation continues:
I hooked up the AC compressor directly to battery and was happy to see that the clutch engages and spins accordingly. When engaged however, it still doesn't really blow cold air. I suspect I may not have enough refrigerant. I'm relieved that I may not need to get a new compressor? Need to get a multimeter and go through all the AC wires though. My hunch right now is that it's either the AC Switch (as the light doesn't come on) or the pressure switch itself, which I hope isn't it because I have to empty the system to replace it correct? Going to make my way through the FSM Troubleshoot list...

1658867387132.png

Yes, you’ll have to empty the refrigerant to replace the low pressure switch. Hoping that’s not it.

Definitely check all the plugs under the dash. I had the exact same issue (no AC light, no compressor) because I missed a plug or it was loose. I don’t remember now what the cause was but it was a simple plug related issue once I located it.

Success! Vacuum held overnight. Charged it today. It’s blowing cold in Florida and the valves are working perfectly.
Hey man I’m in tamap and my hj61 R12 AC just stopped working. Quite abruptly actually. But figured I’d change to r134a. Mind telling me what part numbers you used for your replacements? Thank you!

@Dr jay sure thing!

Parts & approx prices

RockAuto
Evaporator - Denso 4760072. $80
Receiver dryer - Edit: Dont use the a Denso dryer. Read the following posts. Toyota R/D is the safe choice but others will work too.
O-rings - Four seasons. $7
Pressure switch - Four seasons 3758. $5

Toyota dealership
AC expansion valve - Toyota 88515-87004. $90 yes, that’s a lot of money for a small part but it’s an important part and it’s inside the cooler box so I’d rather not chance it. There’s one available from auto parts stores that has an additional coupler that looks like it could leak so I passed on that. Don’t get the Denso 4752087 from Rock Auto because it’s incompatible.

Oreilly
R134a valve adapters (see earlier post)
Valve core removal kit

Misc other things I needed:
- AC flush kit, manifold gauges and vacuum pump. Free to rent from Autozone
- quart of flush. $25
- 2 cans of refrigerant. $16 each
- adapter/valve to connect the cans to the service line. $15
- PAG 46 oil. $11
- thermometer to check the temp at the vent. $11

Last edited:
@Dr jay sure thing!

Parts & approx prices

RockAuto
Receiver dryer - Denso 4780101. $20

Toyota dealership
AC expansion valve - Toyota 88515-87004. $90 yes, that’s a lot of money for a small part but it’s an important part and it’s inside the cooler box so I’d rather not chance it. There’s one available from auto parts stores that has an additional coupler that looks like it could leak so I passed on that. Don’t get the Denso 4752087 from Rock Auto because it’s incompatible.

- quart of flush. $25
- PAG 46 oil. $11
Thank you very much! This is what I need…I think
may I ask on what model you were working/converting? I working with an hj61 which has the 12ht diesel; I don’t think that matters as long as the new compressor is compatible bolt-on wise. Otherwise I’ll need to fab a bracket, or overhaul the existing one
again ty. Jay

@Dr jay sure thing!

Parts & approx prices

RockAuto

Toyota dealership

- quart of flush. $25
- PAG 46 oil. $11
Also did you have to remove the dash to get the cooler box out?

is this not a R-12 part # ?

I know there’s talk about the R-134 drier not having the window on top but the Toyota TSB mentions that there is and to use a black marker on the window so you aren’t tempted to look at it and mistakenly think that cloudy is bad. I don’t believe there’s any difference in the guts of the drier, though I could be wrong.

@Dr jay you don’t need to remove the dash, just take out the glove box. I’m sure it’s easier if you already the dash out but it’s not too bad with the dash in, so you can choose your battle.

Are you replacing the compressor? Mine seemed to be working so I kept it and added PAG oil. I followed the Toyota TSB for adding oil and refrigerant. It mentions a few specific compressors for the Land Cruiser, but it’s based on year of the truck, not model. I’m not sure which compressor you have in the HJ61 but I would think it could be the same one used in the FJ62.

I know there’s talk about the R-134 drier not having the window on top but the Toyota TSB mentions that there is and to use a black marker on the window so you aren’t tempted to look at it and mistakenly think that cloudy is bad. I don’t believe there’s any difference in the guts of the drier, though I could be wrong.

that refers to the TOYOTA Genuine Part

not the $20 denso one ?

@Dr jay you don’t need to remove the dash, just take out the glove box. I’m sure it’s easier if you already the dash out but it’s not too bad with the dash in, so you can choose your battle.

Are you replacing the compressor? Mine seemed to be working so I kept it and added PAG oil. I followed the Toyota TSB for adding oil and refrigerant. It mentions a few specific compressors for the Land Cruiser, but it’s based on year of the truck, not model. I’m not sure which compressor you have in the HJ61 but I would think it could be the same one used in the FJ62.

Thanks buddy. I’ll let you know how things go. I’m not actually completely sure where the problem; I just know I got in the truck yesterday to run an errand and no AC! It usually blows like ice. I don’t think it’s the compressor because you can hear/feel that slight pull on the vehicle when you hit the AC button. I’m gonna see if I can find a leak, but I’m not very experienced with AC’s. Might ask a friend for help. But in any case it should probably be converted to 134. However if by some grace of god I can get it working and keep the r12 I will gladly do that! Cheers 🍻

@ToyotaMatt that is correct. But I was never able to find anything about receiver/dryers being specific to the refrigerant, so I went with the Denso. The Toyota part is also available for about $100.

Thanks buddy. I’ll let you know how things go. I’m not actually completely sure where the problem; I just know I got in the truck yesterday to run an errand and no AC! It usually blows like ice. I don’t think it’s the compressor because you can hear/feel that slight pull on the vehicle when you hit the AC button. I’m gonna see if I can find a leak, but I’m not very experienced with AC’s. Might ask a friend for help. But in any case it should probably be converted to 134. However if by some grace of god I can get it working and keep the r12 I will gladly do that! Cheers 🍻
Good luck! I wonder if a component failed and you lost pressure. You can get a UV light sensitive refrigerant to detect leaks but I don’t know if it’s compatible with R12.

I didn't read thru the entire thread, but there's also a 'Thermistor' in the box nearest your feet. Thermistor lets the amp know what the temp is and is important for cycling the compressor. Still avail from Toyota 88625-12070 81-90 60-series

There is only one pressure switch, in the evap line in the passenger side box.

FWIW, I emailed Denso Technical about the stock R/D being used for r134a and the tech responded that the stock R/D will work with R134a, but didn't know what the desiccant was. I went with the one in the TSB recommended for r134. I asked for the Denso part # for the one in the TSB, but that was not supplied. Rex @1972FJ55 who is an HVAC pro, posted in an older long-forgotten thread, the stock R/D was no-Bueno with r134a and I believe him.

The R/D 88471-12080 (TSB) does not have a sight glass.

1661453570836.png

1661453593335.png

Last edited:
I didn't read thru the entire thread, but there's also a 'Thermistor' in the box nearest your feet. Thermistor lets the amp know what the temp is and is important for cycling the compressor. Still avail from Toyota 88625-12070 81-90 60-series

There is only one pressure switch, in the evap line in the passenger side box.

FWIW, I emailed Denso Technical about the stock R/D being used for r134a and the tech responded that the stock R/D will work with R134a, but didn't know what the desiccant was. I went with the one in the TSB recommended for r134. I asked for the Denso part # for the one in the TSB, but that was not supplied. Rex @1972FJ55 who is an HVAC pro, posted in an older long-forgotten thread, the stock R/D was no-Bueno with r134a and I believe him.

The R/D 88471-12080 (TSB) does not have a sight glass.

View attachment 3096743
View attachment 3096744

like i said ......

ALF is the ORACLE here ..

17650-61040.png

I’m glad you guys brought this up. I went down the Denso rabbit hole as well and after asking 5 times, finally got a seemingly helpful answer from them (they just kept telling me to read the TSB). It sounds like they confirmed that their part is not compatible with R134.

Me: Is it possible to tell me the type of desiccant used in the R/D 478-0101?

Denso (finally): R12 applications use Silica Gel, your R/D is set up for R12 not 134A, your R/D has Silica gel (DENSO), not the below ZEOLITE. You need to use ZEOLITE desiccant for 134A

So it looks like I’ll be emptying my system and swapping the Denso dryer for a different one. Who knows why haven’t they updated their R/D to use XH-7. @1972FJ55 talked about this in a post a while back as well

I’m glad you guys brought this up. I went down the Denso rabbit hole as well and after asking 5 times, finally got a seemingly helpful answer from them (they just kept telling me to read the TSB). It sounds like they confirmed that their part is not compatible with R134.

Me: Is it possible to tell me the type of desiccant used in the R/D 478-0101?

Denso (finally): R12 applications use Silica Gel, your R/D is set up for R12 not 134A, your R/D has Silica gel (DENSO), not the below ZEOLITE. You need to use ZEOLITE desiccant for 134A

So it looks like I’ll be emptying my system and swapping the Denso dryer for a different one. Who knows why haven’t they updated their R/D to use XH-7. @1972FJ55 talked about this in a post a while back as well
It took me forever to get an answer from Denso years ago, and they said exactly the same thing. FWIW all aftermarket driers that I know of, are compatible with both refrigerants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom