FJ60 vs Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my first post. Looking for opinions/ advice.

I have a 84 FJ60 that is basically stock. Last week I went to Moab for the first time, and I am now addicted. The only thing I didn't like is worrying about the FJ60 holding up one the trails, and the drive to and from Denver.

My question is should I keep the FJ60 and do what is needed to make it an awesome overland rig (engine swap, suspension, tires, lift, etc.). Or, should I consider selling it and buying a Tacoma ( still needing obvious upgrades).

To be honest the engine swap scares me. Sounds like a lot of money especially since I would be paying to have it done. But, it's really hard to think about giving up my cruiser.

As has been mentioned already, perhaps look at a 80 or a 100 series LC. But, you'll definitely miss the cavernous 60 if you switch platforms. I'd lean more towards a 100 due to their prices coming down and the V8 for the high mountain passes. As the family grows, your need for space will grow so a Hundy might be a good compromise.

I love my 80 but also love the 4Runner. Each has it's own merits and towing with the V8 is simply more relaxing than the 80. I have one daughter and regularly travel with two dogs so the cargo area is gone. I don't often enjoy driving in the right hand lane doing 70 when I could be doing 80 and get to the trail head. As much as I love the scenery in the right lane, my limited vacation time forces me to haul ass to the trail head after work, air down and start the party. Having great road/hwy manners is at the top of my priority list and that's where the 4Runner fits the bill nicely.

As an example, we ran the Lockhart Basin trail two weekends ago in the 80 with the RTT. This is where the 80 shines, period. It's always a pleasure to wheel the 80 with a constant s***ty grin. Last weekend, we hitched up the Kamparoo to the 4Runner and hauled ass to Tucson for a quick weekend camping trip. Both trips were 6+ hours of hwy to the trailhead.

Good luck.

I think the key words here are wife/kid. 60's are great rigs (i have my beloved '87), BUT which rig serves me best in an accident (did I say full on airbags).

Plus: altitude.....that carb'd 60 will just dog it on those hwy passes at full load. Now granted, mine "probably" needs a carb rebiuld, but I had semis "flying" by me on I70 east bound from 15. I believe I was holding a steady 20mph in second for 45 minutes or so (fully loaded for WRT w. gear/water/4 people/roof rack loaded). On the other hand, it did go down hill fast enough:)

Plus: noise fatigue. My 100 sure is nice as I push 75 while being able to hear my music!

Parts: we don't need no stinkin' parts...........because mr 'yota is discontinuing support (ask me how I know....try and find a new factory egr valve).

As others have said, put her in the pasture, er garage. When wanting to go anti-hipster, pull it out for the day trips around town with your prerequisite pooch, kid, hot wife and smile as the pros ask you to pose for cool photo shoots:beer:

Oops, forgot to mention that aftermarket 100 support is on the light side, but who needs it as these are super capable right out of the box!

***Update***

He is what we finally decided on. We are keeping the Landcruiser, and my wife has agreed to trade in her Subaru for a Tacoma.

It's the best of both worlds, and I needed all of your inputs and advice to make it happen. (As well as having a cool wife)

Thanks everyone!

The FJ60 with a 2F will hold up fine on the highways between home and the dirt.

You just have to accept the fact you will not be doing the speed limit on pavement in the mountains. In fact you will be in 3rd gear on long, steep sections. If you drop below 45 mph just turn on the 4-way flashers, keep the throttle on the floor and enjoy the scenery.

I'm not sure how much use the 5-spd transmission would be in the mountains. The only time you would have it in overdrive would be on long downhills......maybe at the cost of your brakes.

Might be better off just to put an OME kit under it, then use the H55 5-spd cost avoidance $ on getting the engine and other systems totally squared away.

Then go enjoy it.

To me, no matter what you do to it, the FJ60 is not the most practical option.....its all about the grin factor.

If driving the thing does not in itself make you happy, then it ain't worth it.

Yup, it's all about the "grin factor"!!!!!

***Update***

He is what we finally decided on. We are keeping the Landcruiser, and my wife has agreed to trade in her Subaru for a Tacoma.

It's the best of both worlds, and I needed all of your inputs and advice to make it happen. (As well as having a cool wife)

Thanks everyone!
Winning!!!

***Update***

Thanks everyone!

Awesome.

Your 60 is nicer than mine right now.
While I know you made your decision. I will throw my comments just cuz.
In 1999 I drove a 1968 Caddie from Vancouver, BC to Miami, Fl. It was a beast, gas was cheaper, and the only mechanical failure I has was a blown rad hose the second I backed into the stall at my new digs in Miami.

I tuned it, flushed the fluids fixed the leaks and drove it.

My Fj60 has 280K on the clock and a rebuilt engine, untested by me and barely broken in.
It will have a JimC carb, all leaks fixed, new brakes and lines and a nice Redon interior.
Heck not even sure it will be repainted after the rust repair. I am driving from Virginia to Colorado for a two week trip and hitting the trails around Silverton.
Am I worried? Hell no. I will have spares and I am confident. It is as fast as my F150 or the LR3 rig I was using for my mini expeditions, nope.
Will I get there and home in one piece. Damn hope so. But then my LR3 I had concerns about as well.

If you tune it, do the maintenance. Check the leaks and fix what you can + make sure your clutch and brake components are solid, then that engine will run fine.

So glad you are keeping it. Just keep some basic hand tools, common spares and have fun.

I've read so many posts and topics my head is spinning. It is definitely a slippery slope and there will always be a list of wants. But I think I going to explore keeping the 60. Looking into the H55F, OME, and new gearing.

You think that's a good start?

New gearing? For crawling? Or for highway? Most people are thinking of crawling ability when they want to re-gear. But you explicitly said you were concerned sbout highway speed. Dont gear down till you consider this.

I have owned my 60 for 32 years. Ive taken her on many overland trips to Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. Ive written 3 articles about my travels for Toyota Trails and Toyota Cruisers and Trucks. My friends appreciate my old truck, they dont mind my slow highway speeds, because they like seeing my old truck so much.

I strongly suggest to you, that if you do the engine swap, you also swap the transfer case to a Marlin Crawler split tranfer case. Your new modern engine falls behind the vererable 2F in two ways: you cant lug it down to 400rpms on descents with a modern v8, and, you wont have the low rpm torque that the 2F has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom