FJ60 vs Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post. Looking for opinions/ advice.

I have a 84 FJ60 that is basically stock. Last week I went to Moab for the first time, and I am now addicted. The only thing I didn't like is worrying about the FJ60 holding up one the trails, and the drive to and from Denver.

My question is should I keep the FJ60 and do what is needed to make it an awesome overland rig (engine swap, suspension, tires, lift, etc.). Or, should I consider selling it and buying a Tacoma ( still needing obvious upgrades).

To be honest the engine swap scares me. Sounds like a lot of money especially since I would be paying to have it done. But, it's really hard to think about giving up my cruiser.

I own both. I use my Tacoma for overlanding due to it's better MPG and speed/ride. My Tacoma is now 17 years old with just over 100K and runs like new. I love driving the 60 around town and short trips to the Mtns but I wouldn't want to take it over several states. Both rigs are modded. I would never part with my 60, I love it that much! I think you should find a way to own both. An engine swap can easily run $10,000+.

Slippery slope indeed with a swap. You'll end up with the ultimate, but all depends on how much you're willing to spend. I would say a very professional swap with a LS3 would be between 20-30K...no way you're getting a turn key swap for 10K. A nice taco or 4-runner can be had for around the same price as the swap. Both your 60 and a Taco/runner will need a bit of armor so that negligible. I'm an 80 guy and have zero experience with 60s, but maybe the engine can be completely rebuilt/upgraded? This would likely run you in the 10K range for a drop off scenario...that's what I would do.
Here's a great thread on an amazing 60 that got swapped with a LS3...YOLO so do what works for you!
FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports - Expedition Portal

You'll see how much work goes into a swap...quite involved!

What's wrong with the 2F? A good tune on the aisin carb and a H55F would net good results.

If swapping an engine I'd only bother if it was diesel. Isuzu are excellent options that keep the cost lower than Toyota and smoother than a cummins.

If you are rough with your things the Taco will not take the same level of abuse as an FJ60 without some serious coin invested.

Have you considered an HDJ81? More fuel efficient than any of the options above and better engineered to for highway and trails than the FJ60 and taco too.

Thanks for the responses.
Unfortunately I can't afford to have both. The 60 did great on the trails, and we had a blast. The concern was the travel to and from Denver. I worry about the 60's ability to handle long stretches of highway and mountain passes with my wife, 3 year old son, and family pet all along for the ride. After looking online for awhile I assumed an engine swap would take care of that concern, but didn't really know much about it.

im going to look into the HDJ81, as well as finding a cruiser shop in the area. I saw in past posts that Red Line Crusiers is a good local shop.

I bought the 60 two years ago while living in Portland, OR. Mainly to car camp and drive to the coast. But now after moving to Denver and visiting Moab I want to do a lot more.

I do what most would call 'over landing' with my 60. My buddy often comes along in his 2015 Taco. His is somewhat built with a lift, skid plates & a winch.

Capabilities between the two ?? Not very close really. My somewhat built 60 will out wheel the Taco everyday...but his is far superior on the hiway. Really depends on what's most important to you...and if your 60 is in good enough shape as it now is, to allow you to spend $$ on it without that expenditure being a waste of money.

@Atexsouth, I will cast my vote for building up the 60. I did a Vortec swap in my FJ62 last summer (well, my brother did most of it), and it ran in the neighborhood of $10K for the engine, transmission, and all the parts to go with it (link to the thread in my signature box). However, we went for overkill, adding in things like a Derale dual electric fan, lots of -6AN plumbing, external tranny and power steering coolers, t-case rebuild, etc. Truth be told, I think it can be done for 8K - plus labor, in your case. That said, there are plenty of guys who can do a killer job on a swap for you; @torfab and @NCFJ immediately come to mind.

For what it sounds like you really want, though, you need to factor in other things than just the drivetrain swap. Do you need new suspension ($1600 for an OME kit) and new tires ($900 to $1200 depending on size and brand)? How are your t-case and differentials? Cargo drawers? Light kit? Rear 3-point seat belts (for the little one)? Believe me, the list of wants vs. needs is case-specific but regardless of your intentions I don't think the list ever ends!

You may be able to find a Taco for sale that's already built for your needs, or you may need to pump $10K or so into that, too. For my money, I would take some time to sit down and first think about what you really want your vehicle to do for you and your family. Then, create a list of all the things you think it would need to accomplish that mission AND all the things you simply want for it (but don't necessarily require). Then, prioritize that list and take one bite at a time. It may take a year or three, but you'll get there - and hopefully you'll get there in the FJ60!

I've read so many posts and topics my head is spinning. It is definitely a slippery slope and there will always be a list of wants. But I think I going to explore keeping the 60. Looking into the H55F, OME, and new gearing.

You think that's a good start?

Here is what I'm starting with.

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

Are you serious? This 60 is awesome. I'm a firm believer in keeping the rig you've owned. The way I see it is like this, every time you make a repair or upgrade it's one less thing you. Red to worry about. I took an FJ40 all over the place and even carried a couple motorcycles in the back often. I have to admit, that vehicle never left me stranded and I once put it in I s side and it still carried me home as I started in 1st and RPM shifted all the way home about 85 miles. If you were sitting around a table with friends and you all put your problems on the table you would most certainly choose your own given the chance. I own a brand new F350 king ranch diesel and I choose to drive one of my cruisers everyday. To be honest I keep the truck just to hook up a trailer and pull another cruiser home. I have an 80 with a 4BT that is the bees knees and a 45 and 40 that just delight everyday. Truth is, your 60 will always get you home, electronics are. Of your best friend hundreds of miles from civilization. If you're set on a Tacoma just message me and I will most certainly take that 60 off your hands. L

Oh yes, absolutely you are on the right track. Your truck looks to be in excellent shape and a great platform to do the upgrades that you have described.

And I see you are from Denver...you have another benefit at your disposal. Colorado has one of the more active LandCruiser Clubs around. (TLCA I believe). A wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

Good luck & keep posting your progress.

Are you serious? This 60 is awesome. I'm a firm believer in keeping the rig you've owned. The way I see it is like this, every time you make a repair or upgrade it's one less thing you. Red to worry about.
x2! That is a great looking FJ60, Brother. Like I said, and LeRoy alluded to, you'll get to where you want to be one step at a time. Every upgrade, every repair, every mod gets you one step closer. Better on your sanity and your wallet.

For what you ultimately want to do, the H55, gears and OME sound good - though you may not even need to change the gearing. I'm not particularly smart on that, so explore the forum and see what others have said about that.

When the A440 (automatic) died in my FJ62, that's when I had a decision to make. Try to rebuild it, swap in a new one, convert to an H55F, or do a 5.3L/4L60E swap. Rebuilding it wasn't really an option, so I first looked into the H55. That would have easily cost me upwards of $3K to source the tranny and convert my truck to a manual (adapters, clutch/pedal install, etc). When it was done, I would still have an engine with 255,000 miles on it and a tranny with zero. So, I opted to put the money I would have spent on the transmission towards the Vortec swap (and when most people talk about the swap, they are also talking about swapping in the GM transmission - typically the 4L60E - with the Vortec).

While the 2F and 3FE engines are fantastic - my 3FE was super reliable and probably would have given me another 100,000 miles - they are underpowered (as you know) and parts are getting scarcer. You can source parts for Vortecs anywhere and the base 325hp gives you passing speed at 70+! If you plan to spend much time on the highway traveling from the great hub of Denver to all of the wheeling/camping spots within a half day's drive of you, you may appreciate the better behavior on the highway and the improved gas mileage. You won't be sacrificing any trail performance, either. I upgraded my tires to 33's when I put the OME kit on, and with stock gearing I run 2100 rpm at 70mph. If I were going to be no-kidding rock crawling often I might consider switching to lower gears, but for most of the fire roads and trails I'll see my 4.11s are fine.

If you want to seriously consider the swap, PM me and we can talk more about it. There are lots of older threads on here that document in detail many of the early builds. Mine is one of the most recent, and due to the number of pioneers on this forum who have contributed their experiences, the availability of parts for the swap, and what I think are cheaper prices for some of the parts than before, I think the Vortec swap is easier and more affordable than ever. @FJ60Cam did one of the most popular and complete swap threads, so read through his as well.

Good luck to you; do what's best for you, first and foremost, but I hope you thoroughly explore keeping the 60 before deciding to go another route.

Looking for opinions/ advice.

My advice is to get involved with your local TLCA chapter- Rising Sun.
They will be a great resource for all your Land Cruiser needs.
Welcome!

Thanks for the responses.
Unfortunately I can't afford to have both. The 60 did great on the trails, and we had a blast. The concern was the travel to and from Denver. I worry about the 60's ability to handle long stretches of highway and mountain passes with my wife, 3 year old son, and family pet all along for the ride. ..

Just resign yourself to going below the speed limit and enjoy the ride! That's a beautiful 60, and looks to be lifted already.

Maybe put some sliders on it, to protect the nice body from damage on trails. But don't beat on it-too nice for that. I really wouldn't be looking to modify it. A 5 speed won't get you up those passes any faster.

I'll be in your area in a few months. I'd be happy to drive it back to my "shop" to install your new power plant and other goodies :grinpimp:

I've read so many posts and topics my head is spinning. It is definitely a slippery slope and there will always be a list of wants. But I think I going to explore keeping the 60. Looking into the H55F, OME, and new gearing.

You think that's a good start?

If a Tacoma is in your budget what about an 80 or 100 series ? Or if you want power how about a v8 4 runner or GX470. A stock 80 with good tires and lockers is an incredibly capable vehicle. Mountain passes, well you will be doing them in 2nd gear at 50mph if that's a concern to you. The flip side is they are very nice to ride in, good AC, good heat, lots of room, and very well/safely built. Definitely not holding anybody up on the trail with one of these.

Or if you can swing the 4R or GX they have the 4.7l v8 mated to a 5spd trans. The ATRAC-II is weird, until you get the hang of it. My buddy has the 4R and I spot him when we go wheeling. Its surprisingly capable even when it was stock with only upgraded tires.

I would say a 4 door Tacoma if you weren't wanting to play in places like Moab. They just aren't designed for that kind of work. You will be hitting and dragging your undercarriage all day long unless you have significant lift and tires. This would be more of a good exploring back roads, fire roads, that sort of thing.

Keep that 60! I've gone throw two of them three kids and three dogs over the past 18 years. Good times and besides you'll love having the extra time in the car with the family listening to the 2F churn.

Keep the 60, don't buy into the expo hype that you NEED more rig. I'd suggest spending a little cash on suspension upgrades and tires and a set of sliders then enjoy the heck out of it! The 60's are still amazing rigs for adventure and the 2F is a tank. Fwiw, I drive my 76 FJ40 to and from Moab a few times a year, then beat on, it and drive home (at 55-60mph max). If you find you're loving the rocks and or trying tougher more remote trails, lockers are a great upgrade too. All that and you'll still be WAY under a vehicle or engine swap.

My advise, enjoy the 60, enjoy off roading, learn how to drive off-highway, make peace with 60mph, slow down in life, roll the windows down, learn to turn a wrench, make the upgrades you NEED, not what everyone else is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom