Fj60 vortec issues. Help?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.clarionbicycle.com
8E697880-49CB-4F19-81C1-1766CA815C99.jpeg
F9BAB487-E640-4691-99B1-2078A0E65696.jpeg
B2CB683F-82C9-4A03-B8CF-BC25E01F11EC.jpeg
So I haven’t been on the forum much lately. Made a big move and opened a new business and the 60 was on the back burner. But I’m trying to get it sorted now to get it back on the road.

I have a few issues at the moment one being a leak from the power steering. I thought it was coming from the steering column input but today I just noticed this tube coming off the bottom of the power steering pump that is just capped and is leaking from the end, I think the pipe clamp cut through the rubber cap. Anyone know what this tube is for and why it would just be capped? I guess I’ll just try to find another cap? Any other ideas?

On another note I’ve been struggling with vapor lock for too long and everything I do thinking it will fix it doesn’t fix it. The weird thing is it didn’t do it when I first got the truck but then started. It’s hard for me to pinpoint what could have changed around that time. I changed the mufflers and I thought the new ones were larger and closer to the metal fuel lines so I rerouted them. Didn’t help. I also replaced the inline fuel pump and filters in a parking lot while in colorodo. Seemed to help but it’s still doing it sometimes.

The only other thing that was changed was the water pump and thermostat. I think it had a 160 degree and when I had Chevy replace it they put in the stock one which I think it 184? It also seems to run hotter lately and I sometimes even have to turn off the ac or it will keep going over 210. Never did that before either. But from what I’ve read either thermostat should be wide open at that point and act the same. Should I try putting a 160 back in? I think the vapor lock is happening in the engine bay. So I need to figure out how to cool it down in there. I run a scan gauge and never let the engine get over 210. Usually it runs 195 with no ac on.

As far as the vapor lock symptoms. It won’t start up on the first turn of the key after it’s been running. But will always turn over second try. If I’m doing long mountain passes is where it will start to happen while I’m driving. Acts basically like it’s running out of gas. Wait a few minutes and it fires back up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to get this truck sorted and on the road.

One last thing. There seems to be a ton of heat coming in by the front driver and passenger foot wells. The transmission is running cool and I lined the floor under the carpet with reflector stuff but it still almost feels like the heat is on. Any other idea to keep the heat out.

Should mention it’s got a 6.0 vortec and 4l80e transmission. The conversion was done before I bought the truck.

Cheers!
Jason

That capped off line on the steering pump is a second return, that pump (or motor if the pump is original to the motor) is off a truck that had hydroboost brakes. You could cap it off again or you could replace the pump with a non-hydroboost version.

As for the fueling issues I’d start looking at an in-tank setup.

What year is the motor? Chevy changed the water pump and thermostat/housing after ‘03 and the old/new thermostats are not necessarily interchangeable. It may be that the thermostat isn’t working correctly or it may be jammed in the housing such that it renders it ineffective.

Also, the heater lines require a bypass so that the flow is able to return to the pump even with the heater core valve closed. A simple H-tube between the supply and return is sufficient.

The acting like it’s running out of gas Maybe just that, is the pump putting out at least 60 psi under load? It may be wearing out and not providing enough fuel when you most need it.

Do you still have the charcoal cannister in there? It has a known bad valve, sometimes a little lube will help, straight into the purge and tank inlets.

Pull the rear pass cargo area cover, and take a look at the connectors for the vapor condensation lines, they rust out often. try blowing em out, gently.

You also could make sure the return line on the fuel regulator is allowing enough fuel pressure relief on the system otherwise it will build up a pressure that will make it surge and act like it's gonna stall out (like not enough fuel) and then pressure will balance and be ok and then build up again. When you take off it relieves the pressure as well.Just a thought, good luck.

What year is the motor? Chevy changed the water pump and thermostat/housing after ‘03 and the old/new thermostats are not necessarily interchangeable. It may be that the thermostat isn’t working correctly or it may be jammed in the housing such that it renders it ineffective.

Also, the heater lines require a bypass so that the flow is able to return to the pump even with the heater core valve closed. A simple H-tube between the supply and return is sufficient.

The acting like it’s running out of gas Maybe just that, is the pump putting out at least 60 psi under load? It may be wearing out and not providing enough fuel when you most need it.

It’s a 2007 motor/trans

I might just change out the thermostat to rule that out as a possibility.

I’ll check out the hose routing and make sure that’s all plumbed correctly.

The pump runs at 60 psi all the time except when it seems to vapor lock. Which is rare but annoying. If I’m on tha highway and floor it, it has no problem, it seems to only happen at slow speed when heat builds up in the engine bay. I also think when I shut the car off the fuel in the line vaporizes from the heat soak from the engine which is why it needs to be turned over twice. But that’s just my guess I’m not sure what is really going on.

Last edited:
Do you still have the charcoal cannister in there? It has a known bad valve, sometimes a little lube will help, straight into the purge and tank inlets.

Pull the rear pass cargo area cover, and take a look at the connectors for the vapor condensation lines, they rust out often. try blowing em out, gently.
I’ll have to look into this. I did have fuel overflow out the gas cap while on a trail once. The gas cap didn’t really seal well back then. I got a big rubber gasket for it and it seals much better now but I was still confused why gas came out the filler neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom