fj60 steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I have finally had a minute to check out my PS leak on my 85 60 series. It doesn't appear to be the pump but the steering box. My question is, is there a rebuild kit for the steering box? The two hoses coming in and out of it are definately leaking. Tried to tighten them up, but they wouldn't budge. Need to take them off and reseat them but I would like to do anything else that might help at the same time. It's a fawkin' oily mess under there, so it's not really perfectly clear exactly what is leaking on the box(the hose leak is for sure).

Anyone else run into this? What is the fix? Should I replace the steering box, rebuild it? This has been an ongoing problem for the last year and it's making a mess all over the underside of my rig and my driveway.

Scott

it can really gunk things up good, huh?..... mine has been leaking for at least as long too. Here are some options for you, cheapest-to-most $$$$:

• rebuild kits are available through Toyota and Spectre. Having the factory repair manual will help as it looks like there are some part specific proceedures and the diagrams/illustrations look like they will be very useful....= about $100.00
• buy a used PS gear box from www.cruiserparts.net = $250.00 and take your chances on it's life span
• pull your leaky box and have it professionally rebuilt (seals, bearings, etc...) = $350 - $475.00 and gain a guarantee on leaks and failure
• buy a completely remanufactured box from www.cruiserparts.net = $500.00
• or bend over and take it hard on a new OEM replacement part =$2,400.00 + or - a few $ (no, that's not a typo)

I'm saving the $$ for the remanufactured one unless someone offers up a killer deal on the new OEM part.....

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

As dogboy pointed out they are not cheap which ever way you go.I would get those hose leaks fixed 1st and go from there.If the power steering box is leaking it usually leaks from just above where the pitman arm connects.The sector shaft which runs the full length of the steering box gets a groove at the base and allows fluid to be pushed out.So from here you can get a new sector shaft and rebuild which costs about 8-900 in Aust.The next step down in cost from here is to machine the old shaft and have a sleeve fitted over it to bring it up to the proper diameter.I think this is the best option.The next step down in price is to have the shaft "metal sprayed" with some kind of hardened coating which is machined back to the correct diameter.Opinons on this last method differ but all agree it wont last as long as metal,but if your cuiser is getting on and you dont plan on keeping it forever this maybe the way to go_Of course if someone dumps a low klm used one in your lap at the right price you know what to do.

I've had two different FJ60 steering boxes leak at the input shaft, not the pitman shaft. Replacing the o ring fixed the leak and the complete rebuild was not needed. I did end up make some custom spanner wrenches to set the preload and lock nut. Actually the second time I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn't wait for the new oring to arrive. I removed the old oring which wasn't torn or nicked but had developed flat spots. Put the oring in some MEK solvent for 30 minutes. It swells to nearly twice its original size. Then let the oring dry out over night. When the MEK evaporates the oring returns to its original size without any flat spots. It been back in service for over a year with no leaks.

If you do have yours rebuilt, give Redhead Gear in Seattle(they are a small family run outfit) a call(ask for Harvey) HE did a fj40 PS box(what he really did was take mini PS box guts and install them in a fj40 housing and rebuilt) for me for $200 I supplied the OEM seal kit($60) Not sure if a 60 box would be more. They can prolly rebuild it in one day(did so on my 40 box and I told them I was in no hurry) Was real happy with the work and price. Jergens(sp) also does Cruiser boxs(this is who Cruiserparts uses BTW)

YOu can get a new hi presure hose aftermarket for $25-30, new OEM(if they still make it is mucho $$$$)

Clean it up, see where its leaking and go from there.

John H

I am not sure about this, but I think I remember being told by a couple folks that a steering box out of an 80 series fits the FJ60 (anyone know fer sure?)--if that's true, you might be able to get a "slightly" used box for cheap cheap. Or rebuild, like John says.

Good info guys. Now, without really investigating this yet, how much of a pain in the ass is it to get that box out? Anything to keep in mind?

The hardest part I found was seperating the relay rod end from the pitman arm. I think I may have ended up taking apart the rod end and leaving the ball ended bolt in the pitman arm. Also don't even think of spreading the clamping fitting the clamps onto the input shaft. I was removing the steering shaft (ujoints with clamp ends) from my 60. I gently pried the ears of one the clamps to slide it off the shaft - the clamp split in two with no hope of repair. I lucked when a friend had the shaft left on his parts truck.

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=5751;start=msg45847#msg45847 date=1064851604]
I am not sure about this, but I think I remember being told by a couple folks that a steering box out of an 80 series fits the FJ60 (anyone know fer sure?)--if that's true, you might be able to get a "slightly" used box for cheap cheap. Or rebuild, like John says.
[/quote]

I recall the same thing, I think Rick D mentioned it. if so it would be a latter fj60 box(the earlier ones are different) and a fj62 box, being the same as a fj80(91-2) not sure if the box changed in 93+

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=5751;start=msg45884#msg45884 date=1064858872]
I recall the same thing, I think Rick D mentioned it. if so it would be a latter fj60 box(the earlier ones are different) and a fj62 box, being the same as a fj80(91-2) not sure if the box changed in 93+
[/quote]

John when you say "Latter fj60", where is the breaking point? My 60 is a 10/85.

yours would be latter enough i beleive, i wanna say 84 was the change, I was gonna check SOR but can't get on their site

John H

10/85 will be late pattern. I know a late FJ60 and a FJ62 with FZJ80 steering boxes in them as a direct fit.

1) do not buy a new PS box.
2) look everywhere for a sub 100,000 mile J60/J62/J80 steering box with sealed system from a wreck
3) band aid replace external seals on your PS box.
4) rebuild your old box. (shop around).

If you are having leaking from high pressure and return tube, remove (with 17mm tube wrench) and check for brass inserts- if missing replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom