fj60 SOA steering ?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok im getting ready for a SOA on my 82 fj60 and ive read a lot of diffrent thing about what to do for the steering..and i need to know the absolute easiest, cheapest way to do it...i dont have to worry about hitting it off to many rocks down here in florida just deep sand mud like water pits down here that eat rigs alive and some beach driving too...ive got a torch/welder so if anyone knows how to make it to lower the cost that would be good as well..... :D thanks....al

I would say you already have the Fj60 box so you are set there. you can do 3 things

1) Build a double arm out of to passenger side arms. Cost:1 passenger side arm

2) Get W to bend your arms UP to make Highsteer arms. Cost: 75.00? or there abouts

3) Buy a set of crossover steering arms and new tierod/drag link. Cost: 200-500 depending on what you want.

4) Buy a premade double arm. Cost: 250ish.

5) do a search and you will find gobs of info

HTH
Stew

ok ok ok ok the number 1 sounds easy,,, do you just double up the arms and do you know how much that costs.... thanks for all the help

sorry for taking so long..been busy with cruiser stuff and girl stuff and stuff...ok i just looked for about 15minutes all over this site and others and can't find the write up i read/had about doing a double arm setup. Basicly you take 2 right arms flip one over and weld it to the other one. Do a search for double arms, cross over steering arms, ect and you will probably come up with something...anybody else? you also will need to drill the holes out in the top arm so that you can still get the nuts on for the bottom arm....and you will need to weld a 3/8s think gusset between the arms....

somebody has got to have that write up on double arms i remember...it was really good and detailed on how to make em....anybody? bueller?

Stew

ok when you say flip the other one around you mean not upside down but as to rotate it a 180 degrees to where it would normally point or where the one below it is pointing??? thanks..al

second question i forgot to ask? whos w

Read the thread called construction zone done by theferg. He covers the whole job. I made my own double arm by cutting the extra steering arm off at the base of the arm where it becomes the mounting flange and trunion boss. I then flipped it over and ground the arm to fit the original arm adding a pie slice of steel between the two parts to act as a gusset. tacked together the part was installed to verify proper fit then fully welded and heat treated. The tie rod stays in the stock location but your drag link or relay rod is now above the springs and theoretically parallel to axle and tie rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom