FJ60 Roof Rack Gutter Brackets & Hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

I have an FJ60 and I'm interested in obtaining a roof rack that was advertised on e-bay that's very affordably priced. However, I was wondering where I can buy the gutter brackets & hardware with 2 rails to attach it to. The guy who built the roof rack mentions that it can be attached by using U-bolts.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chuck

I think I know which racks your talkin' about. I would just get the Thule or Yakima rain gutter mount racks. Depending on how big of rack you are getting, you might want more than just two cross bars though. My buddy made himself a roof rack and he attached it to Thule racks. Works super good. Oh, and FWIW, on the Thule website they say you need the tall gutter mount feet, but you don't. In fact, I would recommend NOT getting the tall ones if you're gonna run a roof rack on them. It'd be WAY too tall.

As for the U-bolts, just go to a harware store and pick up some small 1/4 inch X whatever diameter cross bars you use X however long you need them u-bolts.

-Ferg-

Thanks Ben,

Do you think maybe 3 or 4 bars are sufficient to hold up the roof rack with a load?

Regards,

Chuck

When I built my roof rack I used Quik-n-easy gutter mounts...they are nice and strong. I just have 4 on my full size rack (62) and have had over 1000 lbs up there without a problem. His is a link... I don't know where I got mine or how much I paid. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/arkatents/h2oquikcarra.html

The amount of crossbars is dependent upon the size of the rack, the weight of the rack, how much weight you plan on carrying in the rack, and how safe you want to be. :D I was thinking 4 cross bars for a rack that takes up the full length of an FJ60 roof, three for a three-quarters rack, and two for anything around half or less... But, if your gonna try and use 3 or 4 yakima or thule crossbars, it could get quite expensive :eek: . You may might want to go with something like those rack mounts that toddslater posted. Con-fer makes some too. And there's probably others...

-Ferg-

Thanks Todd for the recommendation, I will definitely look into those.

Ben, after looking at prices of the Thule set, it adds up really quick! 2 sets (8 pieces) of Model 300 gutters will run $ 230.00, 2 sets (4 bars) will run $ 90.00, wow that's already 320.00 not counting the rack yet.

Let me do more research...

BTW, is Thule & Yakima the same company?

Chuck

The cool thing about Thule or Yakima though is you can remove the rack and still make good use of some cross bars... i.e., haulin' a christmas tree, long lumber, mattresses,... You can try Ebay for the Thule and Yakima stuff. I see 'em on there all the time--sometimes for good deals, sometimes you have to wonder about the seller ::) .

-Ferg-

I got a rack from the guy in AZ selling them on Ebay - its sweet and it was a fair price - it is currently on the wife's 96, so I can't help with the 60 hardware questions, but I'll vouch for its quality, especially for the price - Mine is attached with 4 SS U-bolts to the factory cross members and its awful strong - just be sure to double nut them to eliminate the possibility of them de-nutting under a load - they are unpainted, but I just put a few coats of primer on and a few coats of black and its good to go

I've got 4 Thule bars and the short Thule feet off my FJ62. One of the bars may be slightly bent, but otherwise everything is in fair condition. I'd be willing to part with 'em for $100 plus shipping. Email me if you are interested. I'd be happy to send pics. louaxtjr@hotmail.com

Ebay is a good source of used Thule and Yakima racks, as are local garage sales. They are not the same company.

from what i gather, you get the rain gutter mounts with a yakima and other racks sold on sor or man-a-fre. might be paying close to the same amount for the rack on ebay as for brand new by the time you add the gutter mounts. just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom