FJ60 Pickup from a basket case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently came across this 60 (asking $1000) runs and drives, but as you can see in the pics - major rust issues up top. I am going to inspect it soon to see what it is like underneath.

upload_2018-9-16_22-51-40.png

upload_2018-9-16_22-52-8.png

upload_2018-9-16_22-52-39.png
Not sure if
upload_2018-9-16_22-54-3.png

Not sure if the A-frames are even salvageable (if not this will probably be a no-go for me).

I was considering a pickup build - on the cheap (this will do away most of the bad metal above the "rain channel").

On some of the builds I have seen - I do not care for the exposed sides beneath the bed, so I would like to keep the side panels below the bed, and due to the wheel well vs floorboard height will have to keep some of the side panels above the bed to a certain point (going all the way up above the gas can door would allow me to not mess with the gas cap area, the taillights, or a new tailgate). Will the remaining body provide enough strength/rigidity without the top half - will it not buckle inwards when the tailgate is lowered?

Maybe something like this. Sorry - Don't have Photoshop - so I used what I had - Power Point.

What options do you see, things to avoid, and any threads I should reference?

So far I have found:

60 Series Flatbed/Ute/Tray back etc...

bobbed 60's pics

Thanks for any input the group can provide.

Concept picture did not take. All the Beige would be eliminated. Thinking to separate the bed from the passenger compartment..
upload_2018-9-16_23-27-22.png

If the chassis is good you could pull the body off and put one of the aluminum 45 cans on and have a cool hybrid

Good idea, but on the cheap was the code word. If I had a donor for all the other 3000 parts I would need - maybe.

There’s this one in hardcore corner, but I can’t find the original thread on the bobbing. It’s Bob, by @Mace

Project Bob

I've seen a few pictures over the years about chop specials, I think I would try to install a new rear immediately behind the door pillars, and the just chop and weld the back doors to create additional bed space. You *could* possibly still be able to have the folding rear seat similar to the old Subaru Brat still open to the weather back seats. Would have to reupholster with weather resistant material if that route is even possible.

$.02

Went and saw the truck this week. Holy rust Batman!!! The pictures do not do the rust justice. The leaks around he top has allowed water to enter the interior and rust out the underside pretty bad. Surprisingly the frame is in pretty good shape as are doors, hatch and fenders/hood.

For the completely off-the-wall idea I am considering - I am still not scared away. Big question - can an A Pillar be easily replaced? The front door is only held on by a single hinge at this point.

Another question - The vents in the cowl area - they are the intakes for the cabin ventilation - correct? Where does the water go if the area at the bottom of the front windshield is rotted away.

I say if the front of the cab is even salvageable......chop the body off the rear and build a flatbed with headache rack and close in behind the drivers seats, like a single cab pickup. If you try make it extended cab imo it doesn't look very good and is less functional because of such a short bed space. Roomy single cab with flatbed would be the most functional option and look pretty good too.

If the body is not salvageable make be you could find a donor.

Using the 45 bed though would be amazing! That would be the coolest hybrid cruiser ever. Block Toyota lettering on the tailgate, Japanese roll bed...sadly not cheap I'm sure.

After you spend your life blood getting the body usable, chances are extremely high that the drive train is on its way out. The engine may have run on your test drive, but the criminal neglect to the body most surely was mirrored to the drivetrain.
Trying to salvage a junker like this can break the spirit of the stoutest souls. Endless rust repairs have a way of breaking a man's spirit - leaving him a shell of what he was before embarking on the endeavor. Billowing, swelling rust is a life sucking abyss.

My advice- walk away from this nightmare and congratulate yourself for your good judgment.

I am agreeing with @OSS here, I am betting the frame is shot if it that bad. The drive train and who know what else....walk away and fast. that is a parts truck and that is about it.
Anything can be saved, the question is how much are you willing to spend. Based on what I have spent, (and I already had a rebuilt motor) you are looking at 5-10K and I am way low for sure.

Yup. I picked it up for $500 the other day. The rust has rendered the body unsalvageable However the engine, driveline, and interior are in good shape. The frame has a lot of surface rust but it’s actually not that bad at all. It seems to have rusted from the top down mostly. It even runs and drives halfway decent after I drained the 8 year old fuel.

We were thinking about cutting the roof off and taking the doors off and messing around with it before we start dismantling it.
I’ve alwsys wanted a full size go cart. Lol
Assuming that this rig sold for parts...? FJ62 3fe to 2F swap

Last edited:
Here is a recent thread. S.02. Rig is up on evilbay - snag photos for future reference.

FJ60 Truck!! WHAT?!

Went ahead and created an album to keep the photos after the evilbay posting expires. Under my profile under 60 truck

Glenn in Marana

Last edited:
Toss the 60 body and put an aqualu aluminum fj45 tub on there. Build up a cool hybrid.

I wish there was some sort of aqualu tub for a 60 series. Years ago I seen an aluminum 60 on here where someone made a fully customized body. I have not been able to find it again.
But there are parts of 60's that would be marketable for someone to make. Rear hatch and tailgate in aluminum, doors, etc.

I cannot see how someone could turn this basket case into that bay ad. Not likely. And if they did it's worth 39K all day, as it took year of work to get it there.

Toss the 60 body and put an aqualu aluminum fj45 tub on there. Build up a cool hybrid.

Pretty pics on their site. Attached a price sheet for those interested. Would like to see a 60 based 45 troopy if anyone has built one.

Glenn in Marana

Attachments

• usd_-_land_cruiser_pricing.pdf
    491.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom