FJ60 Idle Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I am helping out a friend with his 1985 FJ60, introducing him into the world of Land Cruisers. It is his first Land Cruiser. He is mechanically proficient, with most of his work done on small outboard engines. So, he has a white FJ60 (like mine) and it has a 2F with lots of miles on it. It has a Weber 38 electric choke, and it is ghetto desmogged, but there are no vacuum leaks. Vacuum steady at 20 in hg. When you fire it up, it does weird drops down about 150 rpm, then goes back to normal. When you drive it if the RPMs are below 1300, it will run very rough even with throttle input. I will attach a video. The compression is 145, 155, 150, 150, 150, 150. The carburetor is tuned to a proper mixture. There is no leak under the base of the carb, we already fixed that. Timing is at 7* BTDC. It gets rough and it sounds like a cylinder is skipping or misfiring

is there any reason why it would cause a particular cylinder to misfire? Cyl 2's spark plug shows a different story than all of the other ones, so I would assume its Cyl 2. Could a crack in the intake manifold cause this?

A crack would show up as a vacuum leak.
If you've got 20inHg vacuum, it should idle very smooth (if everything else is ok).
Replace the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug for starters. Measure the resistance of all the spark plug wires and the coil wire.
The Weber -could- maybe have gunk in it.

I got a weber 38 installed when I got my truck desmogged. Ran rich, had to idle high, and would stumble between gears until I opened up the jets. After that it idles smooth at 650-700, no stumbling and no more dieseling.

UPDATE:

Something was up with the distributor. I advanced the timing 1 degree and plugged and unplugged just about every spark plug wire you can. Cleaned all the plugs and re gapped. Checked the rotor and cap, everything was fine. Put it all back together, now she fires on all 6. Thanks to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom