FJ60 Headers Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ Nice! that may be what I have to do going forward.

I too have heard people using machined washers to fix this issue. Sounds safer / easier to me. But I have no first hand experience.

What is the best washer to use when reassembling the intake and header? On the six M12 studs.

Flat washer? Split washer? Or both?

My set up has been machined and both the header and the intake are even so no need for the 'half washers' or a shim. I ran just split washers for years without issues, but it seems like a flat washer would distribute the torque of the nut a little better between intake and header. Plus the split washers chewed up the face on the intake pretty good.

I believe the manifold bolts and nuts come with solid washers. Pretty thick ones.
IMAG2576.jpg

Doubled up washers because of machining done. OE on top.

Let's see,
Says here on the can:

Duplicolor BFM0360
Dark Shadow Gray (CX)
Replaces T299

It's a Ford color I guess. Got a little gold metallic in it, I like it.
Hasn't held up that well unfortunately, don't know if that's the paint or my prep.

Tangentially related....ever seen a setup with one common steel or stainless steel flange for both intake and exhaust? I have not done any analysis or calcs around the impact of hot exhaust ports vs "cool" intake ports and the effects of thermal expansion....aside from needing double intake gaskets you could run longer head studs and then not have to worry about a shared fastener system.

Alternatively the stock split design could be tweaked so that the exhaust manifolds had a full stud hole and the intake mounting hole could overlap but be offset from the head face by the approximate width of the exhaust manifold flange. That way both manifolds could be captured in a more traditional way by a nut with 360 degree contact and the thermal expansion rates would be independent of each other

Last edited:
155_0303_six_1_z.jpg

Went googling and came up with some interesting stuff. I6 is old hat so probably everything has been tried. When I did my machining I erred on the side of intake being slightly thinner so it could move a bit. Reasoning that the exhaust manifold and head would probably move similarly. So far so good.
When I had the remflex gasket on, and it failed in short order, it appeared to me that at every heat/cool cycle, the gasket would move with the intake, but then stick on the other half of the cycle, and eventually ripped itself apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom