"THE" FJ45 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Didn't need a contest to name this one! The licence plate says it all!
mike p licence.JPG

Last edited:
Specs: 1966 LWB FJ45, also red [what are the odds of getting two red 45s back to back for major upgrades!] Rebuilt 2F engine mated to all stock powertrain. IIRC, I built the engine back in '92, when Mike was back in high school.

Plans are to lift it via 4" Alcans, replace stock axles with 4 wheel discs, install power brake system, swap the 3 speed for a 4 speed and add Saginaw power steering. Planning to take the better part of a year with this one too.

But first I've got to do some major backtracking on the engine! Not only has this truck been sitting over 10 years since last driven, but a much younger Mike tempted the cruiser gods by painting the engine a hideous shade of YELLOW! In order to appease the gods and increase the odds of a successful project [as well as save my EYES :eek: I had to strip the motor to replace all the gaskets anyways and will be repainting the block.;)
make p engine1.JPG

Calico and I stripped the engine down pretty quickly on Wednesday last week and scrubbed it with thinner and wire brushes. Everything that we could unbolt [save the air cleaner bracket] is getting the once over, new gaskets, and will be reinstalled the way Mike would have done it the first time, if he wasn't a starving high school student! I am very glad that Mike is committed to making this a first-class build.

This is as far as we got today [I was out of town for several days for the PMC swapmeet] Got to start on the carb rebuild now, as well as getting some work done on the fireman's truck, so progress here will be a little slower. But at least the yellow is GONE!

Now we're looking at swapping in a vac advance dizzy and pertronix as well as a fresh, high efficiency 4 core radiator to help deal with the desert heat of AZ.

:bounce:
engine2.JPG

Take some pics of the pertronix work if you would.

Will do. I could have sworn there were already pics of that floating around. Maybe on the service link on my website?

A little more progress today. Mike and I agreed that I should move the alternator now in anticipation of the power steering conversion. Also did some manifold grinding to clearance the intake to the new header.
MVC-044S.JPG
MVC-046S.JPG

Also decided to replace the entire fuel system based on this:
MVC-043S.JPG
MVC-042S.JPG

nice work....keep the pic's comming...i am trying to get remotivated and pics help alot!

osagecruiser

When you say replace the fuel system, do you mean new tank and carb?

That filter bowl sure caught some crap!

Mike actually delivered AND installed a refurbished tank that he had previously acquired from TLC. Supposed to be relined. I will be running new lines from there all the way to the carb, including a new metal line from the pump to carb. Will swap his existing glass bowl onto a new filter assembly. Good thing I have those line fittings.;)

Specs: 1966 LWB FJ45, also red [what are the odds of getting two red 45s back to back for major upgrades!] Rebuilt 2F engine mated to all stock powertrain. IIRC, I built the engine back in '92, when Mike was back in high school.

Plans are to lift it via 4" Alcans, replace stock axles with 4 wheel discs, install power brake system, swap the 3 speed for a 4 speed and add Saginaw power steering. Planning to take the better part of a year with this one too.

But first I've got to do some major backtracking on the engine! Not only has this truck been sitting over 10 years since last driven, but a much younger Mike tempted the cruiser gods by painting the engine a hideous shade of YELLOW! In order to appease the gods and increase the odds of a successful project [as well as save my EYES :eek: I had to strip the motor to replace all the gaskets anyways and will be repainting the block.;)

I see nothing wrong with that color. I fact that is pretty tame. Gonna have that beat by a long shot. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=167998

At least you could see where the oil leaks were.:D

What paint did you use for the engine? Looking to clean one up myself this Fall.

engine bay is almost done. Cooling system is buttoned up. Alternator wires extended to the passenger side. Rebuilt dizzy and pertronix installed. Carb rebuilt and installed. Just need to finish those fuel lines and build a temporary exhaust.
mike p engine bay.JPG

Lookin good so far! Need MORE pics of......."THE" FJ45 buildup :)

Sharp looking motor there! Nice build!

IT'S ALIVE! Finally started the 45 yesterday. AFAIK, it's the first time it's run in over 10 years. Sounded pretty smooth, especially considering the exhaust system is now comprised of a healthy amount of bailing wire along with a can of Dr. Pepper! [a private joke for Mike] :eek::eek: Hopefully I'll have some time to dial it in before I leave for the 45 run. Lot of last minute crunching on my own junk tho.:rolleyes:

:cheers:

Wow, I can't believe how much I've slacked on posting in this thread! The axles and suspension have been done for months! Now I realize I've got to get some pics of that up too.

Just finished installing the FJ80 MC/booster/firewall adapter. Fit was a LOT more complicated than working on the Fireman's V-8. I knew the clearances were gonna be close, but this is the first one I've installed with an I-6 and 2bbl carb. The FJ60 MC wouldn't have been as much of an issue, but I wanted to get the larger bore of the 80 series and the 'straighter' plumbing. So here it is:
MVC-086S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom