FJ45LPB scratchbuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm kind of a noob here, been lurking a long time. Noticed the R/C section of the forum and thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

It's 1/10th scale and will be radio controlled. I'm heavily referring to the restoration done by forum member buckroseau.

Some photos of the bed, now finished...
006assembled.jpg

013wholemockup.jpg

019wells.jpg

022piecelayout.jpg

030gate.jpg

031gateinv.jpg

035tiedownscale.jpg

036bedsideties.jpg

049valence.jpg

053bedassembly2.jpg

Just starting the cab...
054front.jpg

The frame...
033frametube.jpg

039framesplit.jpg

042frame.jpg

046profile.jpg

Full build thread can be found over at scale4x4rc.org.

Did the tailgate by taking a single sheet of styrene and cutting the letters out of it... saved both the letters and the piece that they were cut out from. I then sandwiched a thin piece of styrene between the letters and the relief piece so it has a reverse image in the tailgate and creates the illusion of a stamped bed, just like the 1:1.

Like so...
024to.jpg

In the world of styrene and all things scale, you are a god!
Put me first in line if you ever decide to sell (or want to tackle a 63 swb fj45).

I've been modeling much of this in a 3D modeling software as I go... I'm currently exploring the costs/feasibility of a limited run of injection molded bodies. I'd likely do an FJ40 and then an LPB bed... you could cut-n-shut the FJ40 into an FJ45 cabin to go with the bed. We'll see... there's a high upfront cost obviously.

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated as I make more progress.

Thanks, yes hardbodied 40 would be cool.
Tha Aoshima's fetch a pretty penny, IF you can even find one.

Any updates?

Yes. =) Glad someone reminded me I was posting here. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

057pieces.jpg

058cabfloorup.jpg

060doorsout.jpg

068floor.jpg

069sill.jpg.jpg

071louvers.jpg

073door.jpg

075tub.jpg

076mock.jpg

078mock.jpg

Just finished the windshield frame...
081frame.jpg

And some door hinges...
082hinges.jpg

I think I'm going to handcarve the hood and cab-top out of wood block to create a buck that I'll then vacuform the actual pieces over.

I'm going to have some time in the next few weeks to work on this and hope to get those two bucks carved as well as the frame complete and springs/axles installed.

Nice to see you're making progress - looking good!

That is some serious handywork!!!

GREAT JOB!!!! cant wait for more

Thanks for the compliments guys. Glad you all are getting a kick out of this.

That is amazing work. Did you make the frame your selfs and what axels are you plaining on using

Frame is being scratchbuilt from 1/2" square tube cut lengthwise to make two c-channels. The rest is 1mm steel stock cut/formed into the various members and body mounts. I've actually been concentrating on the frame quite a bit lately. Some pics for you...

083shocktowers.jpg

084bodymounts.jpg

085braces.jpg

086underbed.jpg

091framefront.jpg

092frameback.jpg

093frame.JPG

Is this build on any of the other R/C forums?

Yup, it sure is. Since this is a Cruiser forum first, I'm not going into nearly as much detail here. You can check it out on Scale4x4RC for a very detailed step-by-step of the work. All of the work is broken down into far greater detail there.

Yeah, I've actually been working on the chassis the past couple of days... had to relocate a couple of the body mounts due to a measuring error on my part. I've also been working on the removable top section for the rear of the cab. The corner curves have been challenging...

I'll get some photos up in the next week or two, not a lot to show except for "in progress" stuff right now.

So the brunt of my time lately on this has been working on the removable rear cab section. The corner curves have given me fits, but I finally got it figured out.

And the finished piece...
109cabout.jpg

110cabin.jpg

Once I've got this piece built up with the interior supports I'll then cut the windows out. I figured it was easier to build these curved sections up and then cut later. The full-depth rib at the top and bottom of this piece will also be carved out, they were just there to aid in construction of the piece.

Mocked up cab... getting so close.
111mockup.jpg

112mockup.jpg

113mockup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom