FJ45LPB scratchbuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, okay... I actually have made a little progress.

Got my vacuform buck to a good enough place I wanted to make a sample pull...

216vacformed.jpg

A side view... it's not too bad although I've got a few things to learn about getting the pull to lay down properly over the buck.

217formed.jpg

Um... What happened to this build? I looked on the R/C forum and it's not finished there either. What gives? You left us hangin'.

Last edited:
It's still on the shelf... moving sloooooowwwwwly. Life with real Cruisers is happening... my 40, my 80, now a Troopy.
It will get finished. Watch this space... but not literally.

Laid out most of the bits and pieces... an inventory if you will. Firing things back up. Planning to wrap up by December. Let's see...

219inventory.jpg

220inventory.jpg

I've shifted direction a bit. I want to get the chassis and drivetrain all together so it's a roller.

Drivetrain back in, front axle loosely fitted... sizing the driveshaft length and getting ready to fix the front servo.
221frontdrivetrain.jpg

222frontdrivetrain.jpg

Once I've got the mount complete for the front servo I'll be painting the chassis and axles up.

So upon re-assembly I wasn't happy with the plates that secure the u-bolts to the axle. I needed some way to pin the plates to the drilled hole location on the springs. Brainstorming finally netted me the idea.

Drill a hole in the center of the plates...
223drilling.jpg

Braze in a screw from underneath...
224brazing.jpg

Trim the screw to the right height on the other side...
225primed.jpg

I went ahead and primed them to keep them from rusting. They are prone to quick rust after the heat treatment from brazing.

And they worked exactly as I intended. Centering themselves on the springs. Just like the real thing. Sometimes I overthink this stuff...
226pinned.jpg

The u-bolts need trimming. I think they also need some additional depth threaded on the ends.
227needsatrim.jpg

And the axle secures so well to the springs now.
228improved.jpg

A shackle close-up...
229shackle.jpg

And a hanger close-up...
230hanger.jpg

Next is designing the serve mount. Once that's done I can paint all the chassis and running-gear and have a roller!

Progress...

Assembled the chassis and made measurements for the servo mount. This SHOULD be the last bit of chassis work and then I'll need to wrap up the body.

Measuring and laying things out...
231measure.jpg

Using my vice as a brake to bend the 16 gauge steel.
232brake.jpg

Trimmed up to fit.
233trimmed.jpg

Tapping the threads into the mount.
234tapped.jpg

Testing the threads... they are M3.
235test.jpg

Mocking it up in place.
236location.jpg

237intherails.jpg

And brazed into place with silver solder.
238brazed.jpg

239brazed.jpg

That is looking awesome Joel! I can't wait to see what's next!!

Thanks Michael! Next step is re-assembling the drivetrain with all electricals and testing the operation. Once satisfied I’ll strip it down and start painting chassis/drivetrain parts.

Hi Joel, good to see you back at this one. Back in the states I see? It's always cool to see your progress on this.

Doug!!! Long time man. I am back in the States. Returned this past April. Thanks for checking in. What’s the story on your 40?

Joel have you had any time during this shelter in place to work on this project? Or are you one of the essentials?

My company is considered an essential business since we design infrastructure projects. Also, our company has made work from home completely seamless. So, I've been putting in full days. Which is good for job security.

I've moved back over to body work... laid everything out and started measuring for finalizing the doors. Nothing to show for it. Will work to have something to show this week.

Weather has been so gorgeous here... much of my after work time has been getting the kids outside to reduce our cabin fever.

I understand that. My job is considered essential as well since we support laboratories. This week I have been home, so far. I traveled the two previous weeks and will travel next week. Our weather has been cool in the aftermath of Sundays storms. Stay safe and well!

She runs. I have a testing harness with a cheapo ESC and 3-channel receiver running the truck... and a badly swelling li-po battery I need to dispose of. But, she runs!

The high-torque servo yanks from the front axle/springs side-to-side a bit more than anticipated. And when I finally assemble the electronics I'll need to program in steering limits... the rubber digs into the leafs! Also, I need to tighten up the rear axle in the u-bolts. On high-speed starts it torques upward.

But all in all, it works surprisingly well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom