FJ45 Removable Top Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 1984 HJ47 pickup RHD imported to the US. The top is removable but it is bolted to the tub. Has a fiberglass roof with rain gutter and all same roof construction as a typical hardtop FJ40. From what I’ve learned the early model US 45s used latches to hold the top on. If I wanted to convert mine using as close to stock parts/methods, what all would I need to acquire/fabricate. The research I have done it seems ill need a new upper windshield frame (pic below), and what happens with the brace above the door? These pics were liberated, not mine. If you have any reference pics or guru info please respond with them. Thanks! Please no nudity every time I post I get inboxed with pictures of girl friends and wives and quite frankly it’s distracting to my build progress.

B7C391DE-1FDC-44D2-B8A9-D7673548B773.jpeg
D154EA84-C865-4774-A5E9-27725D4A8702.jpeg

Last edited:
Please no nudity every time I post I get inboxed with pictures of girl friends and wives and quite frankly it’s distracting to my build

Interesting in all my years on Mud never had that happen.

As for your question picture are of a pickup not a wagon. Didn't realize the later OEM caps were fiberglass with a metal gutter. Know aftermarket ones were available in fiberglass.

Stock early pickup top used a few bolts and five clips across the back behind the seats. With the correct parts would be easy to do. The front would be trickier. It uses four of those clip that attach to the V shape pieces on the metal stripe just behind the windshield frame. That metal be the most work. Plan on a later windshield on my 65 pickup. The access plug for windshield washer nozzle would allow plates tapped with thread holes for the catches. Plates attached to a rigid wire would allow fish them.in place.

Interesting in all my years on Mud never had that happen.

As for your question picture are of a pickup not a wagon. Didn't realize the later OEM caps were fiberglass with a metal gutter. Know aftermarket ones were available in fiberglass.

Stock early pickup top used a few bolts and five clips across the back behind the seats. With the correct parts would be easy to do. The front would be trickier. It uses four of those clip that attach to the V shape pieces on the metal stripe just behind the windshield frame. That metal be the most work. Plan on a later windshield on my 65 pickup. The access plug for windshield washer nozzle would allow plates tapped with thread holes for the catches. Plates attached to a rigid wire would allow fish them.in place.
It may well be an after market fiberglass top I’m not 100% sure it’s factory as ive seen some Australian pickups with both steel and fiberglass roofs. I’m not clear on what you mean about the ‘metal strip just behind the windshield frame’ is it a separate piece or is it made on to the 65’ wind shield frame? The plates would just be there to allow the catches some threads to bolt to correct? I was thinking of using threaded rivet inserts or welding nuts in a drilled hole as my windshield has the wiper motor on the bottom.

Alright so I found these on the intranets the grey one is listed as a 65’+ replacement top and the Dune one is from a for sale add. There must be an extra piece there that attaches to the roof panel. Ive looked at exploded diagrams but none have a separate piece listed nor have I found one that shows a roof panel with hooks…

B7D47B14-1420-466B-BB90-616E3191E6C0.jpeg

9D586E43-1D3E-4F92-A3CA-72C7F427360B.jpeg

I guess I answered my own question but I’ll leave the post up incase anyone else is looking for the information. The fiberglass top doesn’t have the extension piece made in to it (see pic 3), the replacement steel tops have the extended piece but do not come with hooks/loops nor can you order a top with hooks/loops. I will need to fabricate the triangular shaped hooks/loops and weld them on to a replacement steel top or fiberglass them in to my current top. I’ll also need to locate five latches and hooks for the tub connection behind the seat, and four latches and hooks for the windshield frame. The upper door supports will stay attached to the roof however the L brackets on either corner of the upper doors will need to be removed from the windshield frame to make it easier to remove/install the top. Will need to use aftermarket type weather stripping at tub connection and windshield connection glued to the removable top. Am I leaving anything out?

AA92477A-5F99-49D4-893A-0DA3E11326A8.jpeg

590480EB-3F1F-4F1B-BC60-3531B916C248.jpeg

DB04BD08-25B9-481A-B7B9-B99395FB2109.jpeg

Last edited:
Pics of tub latch location, upper hook for rear panel tub connection, L brackets that will need to be removed for ease of install/removal

73E2953B-F4CA-40B9-8CB3-BBB0D9D1FBF7.jpeg

D8B603F5-F05F-443E-A181-8287F3A68C5F.jpeg

664F9FB8-1769-4495-8ABC-D74B40A8EEB5.jpeg

454ACB9E-1736-494F-9AAC-ECDBE46E6920.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t see why this same setup or similar couldn’t be used to attach a FJ40 hard top for easier removal/install.

Only 64 thru 67 lwb removable top 45’s had these hooks and latches here in the US market. These are all very hard to source now days. I have everything but I need it for a project. Later model 45’s went to fiberglass and bolted on like a 40.

Some ideas to make it easier to remove the top
Post in thread 'Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45' Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tornado-takes-the-top-off-1964-swb-fj-45.522904/post-14184433
And to answer your question on the windshield secure to top piece
Post in thread 'Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45' Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tornado-takes-the-top-off-1964-swb-fj-45.522904/post-13993403

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom