FJ40 Roof - how do I seal it to body at front?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Rick, @GA Architect
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. So when you bought the two fill in pieces, were they made of the same material as the horseshoe rubber. The (#4) pieces I have are of the density in number #4 post above....a real soft foam. My LC is a "68, with what I assume is the original top and I have a new OEM horse shoe weatherstripping that goes right up to the windshield.

Thanks again,

Those two little peaces are made of open cell foam rubber, the roof drip edge is of solid rubber.

Rick @GA Architect .....that's what I thought I just wanted to double check. I'll just set my fillers aside also.
Thanks again for your pictures and documenting...invaluable.
Rick @GA Architect .....that's what I thought I just wanted to double check. I'll just set my fillers aside also.
Thanks again for your pictures and documenting...invaluable.

@GA Architect and others. I'm noticing on two of my late model hardtops some black factory caulking before the 64836-90332 packing gasket, in both left and right top corners. Has anyone noticed this before, and what are folks using as a replacement? Seems like I've seen an aftermarket neoprene type gasket that was aimed at replacing the caulking altogether.

The photos below show the caulking I'm referring to on two different hardtops.

IMG_20200309_183746.jpg

IMG_20200309_183736.jpg

IMG_20200325_123157.jpg

IMG_20200325_123135.jpg

@GA Architect and others. I'm noticing on two of my late model hardtops some black factory caulking before the 64836-90332 packing gasket, in both left and right top corners. Has anyone noticed this before, and what are folks using as a replacement? Seems like I've seen an aftermarket neoprene type gasket that was aimed at replacing the caulking altogether.

View attachment 2248415

View attachment 2248416

View attachment 2248828

View attachment 2248829

I used Mortite in those corners, but you could probably use some Eastwood flexible caulk strip.

View attachment 2248415

View attachment 2248416

View attachment 2248828

View attachment 2248829

What did you end up using here? I was just about ready to post on the same topic. I don’t want to wait for Eastwood delivery but I might look for some flexible caulk or whatever mortite is.

What did you end up using here? I was just about ready to post on the same topic. I don’t want to wait for Eastwood delivery but I might look for some flexible caulk or whatever mortite is.
For what it’s worth I think I’m going to try Mortite or Frost King. Flexible and paintable looks a lot like clay. Will report back.

This will catch me some grief but I added 6 rivnuts across my windshield frame and am adding a thin rubber seal under it to help with the wind whistling under the lid. I will let you know how it goes!

This will catch me some grief but I added 6 rivnuts across my windshield frame and am adding a thin rubber seal under it to help with the wind whistling under the lid. I will let you know how it goes!
Sounds pretty smart to me. I put a bead of silicone under the cap to windshield header piece when I reinstalled. I used pop rivets as well so not purist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom