FJ40 Rear Bumper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great!!

Hey, How about a few pics of the finished bumper/racks all installed? The last pictures were great, but if you have a couple with the entire set up mounted it would be much appreciated. Also would like to know approx what the entire assembly cost you to build? Any problems or design changes you would make after using it the past couple of months?
Thanks Brad

Update

I updated my first post with the rough estimate of parts and metal. It was less because I got the 1x1 tube for free from a co-worker that had a bunch of salvage/scrap laying around. The 2x4 I stole from a friends garage (thanks Erik) and have to replace it, so I estimated at that cost.

Total damage done I'm estimating at around $750. Yeah, that's a lot of money for a bumper, but I got exactly what I wanted and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it. The bumper's maiden wheeling/camping voyage is in a couple of weeks, I'll update if there is anything else that strikes me.

Pros:
  • Single latching system - locks both swingouts together VERY securely with no rattling.
  • Cooler basket on the receiver hitch - allows flexibility to make other accessories, or take the basket of all together.
  • Hitch tube recessed into bumper - it sticks out a little, but it really isn't a problem at all, and I like it better than if I would have just slapped it on the bottom of the bumper.

Design changes/cons:
  • The spare tire sticks down too far for my receiver hitch carrier/basket. It would depend on your tire size and basket size though. I didn't have it when I built the bumper, and therefor didn't account for it. Not a huge deal though, I just got a drop hitch tube for it, and I really wouldn't want it higher.
  • I need to figure out a way to stop the arms from swinging all the way out. You'll see in the pictures that they open really far without contacting the body, but I would like a way to make sure they never would if I were to open it on a steep side hill.
  • I would move the receiver tube that holds the cooler basket about 1" further to the driver side to leave a little more room for the stock license plate holder/locking hitch pin.

IMG_0555[1].jpg

IMG_0556[1].jpg

IMG_0557[1].jpg
IMG_0555[1].jpg
IMG_0556[1].jpg
IMG_0557[1].jpg

LOL, good question. I don't have any right now. Matter of fact, my rig hasn't had backup lights since I've owned it. As soon as I find some I like, I'm going to use small (about 2") lights on the angles that come around the corner. They will be recessed into the bumper just like the tail lights. Honestly it's just not on my priority list. The other option I have though is to use a work type light mounted on the side of the upright receiver tube.

On the back up light, if you look really closely in the back glass (scroll back up to the last picture) you can see a little person with a blue shirt on with a flashlight in his hand. He turns it on when you back up. For $50 bucks more he will beep for you too when you are backing up.

:)

That looks awesome, good work!

@CrowleyFJ40 , I realize this is an old thread at this point, but do you happen to have the files you used to design this guy still? Would you be willing to share?

@CrowleyFJ40 , I realize this is an old thread at this point, but do you happen to have the files you used to design this guy still? Would you be willing to share?

Pm sent. Of course I'm willing to share with another Freeborn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom