FJ40 Rear Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well, honestly it's not going to slow your build, and the "nice rack" can be added later.. they're pricy anyway to buy a "nice rack" I can just hold your "nice rack" in place and you can look at it in your "rear view" to see if it's in the way..

well, honestly it's not going to slow your build, and the "nice rack" can be added later.. they're pricy anyway to buy a "nice rack" I can just hold your "nice rack" in place and you can look at it in your "rear view" to see if it's in the way..

:lol::lol::lol:

In my quest to find the perfect hitch, my thought was to make a very flexible setup. the tire side would not change, but on the other side, I would basically mount a trailer hitch in the upright position. Then I would build setups for different purposes. For regular driving in town, I would have nothing. (no rear sight hinderance). For trail time, I could mount up the cooler holder, or spare fuel container. Or Boom box holder for my 1984 HUGE bada$$ beat box. You get the idea... flexibility.

fj40 rear bumper

Your Thread inspired me to get my butt out to the gargae and finish my rear bumper:)
fj40 rear bumper small.jpg
fj40 rear bumper side view small.jpg

Thanks! I just sprayed it with some dupli-color bed liner.

yeah it has a nice hard finish to it. The temps lately helped it cure ;)

I was alittle worried about how well it would adhere to bare metal but so far it seems like it is going to work out just fine.

Here's some progress pics...

DOM sleeves, they are 2.75", so they space the bumper .75" off the frame. 1" OD .120 wall DOM. Going to use 8 .5" grade 8 bolts to mount it to the rear cross member.
IMG_0289.jpg

This shows the sleeves tacked in place and the spacing
IMG_0292.jpg

First test fit, not cut down to width
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg

Yesterday I got the bumper cut to width, light holes cut out, and the side peices tacked in place. I need to pull it off and cut the sides down to size and shape, but that will wait until tomorrow, taking the day to spend time with daddy's little wheelin' buddy.

IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

Looking great!!

Looking awesome!

he's been welding and grinding for hours.. I guess I should take a picture.. biggest issue we've had all day is getting the baby keg to produce it's nectar.. OH.. and Colin forgot to turn on the gas on the welder at one point.. he's used to flux core and wanted to continue the trend..

making progress on the bumper.. it stopped raining so he's back outside grinding.
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG
IMG_4626.JPG

Took Kelly's words of wisdom that "without goals nothing gets done" and made a little time to sneek off to the garage.

Started with a peice of 2x2 square tube just a little longer than the distance of the spindles outside to outside. Stuck it on the drill press and used a 2" hole saw to cut it in half.
IMG_0344[1].jpg

Then ground down the inside radius of the notch so the DOM from the spindle fit snug, and cut down the peices to length so they would close, mocked it all up so the gap was even all the way across, and tacked together.
IMG_0348[1].jpg

And there you have it, swing outs! :bounce:
IMG_0349[1].jpg
IMG_0344[1].jpg
IMG_0348[1].jpg
IMG_0349[1].jpg

AWESOME IDEA FOR CUTTING PIPE NOTCHES!!!! You da man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom