fj40 front wheel studs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok just had a fun ride in my 1973 fj40. My front wheel studs sheered off while I was driving down the road. My tire went flying, I am always carerful to torque them to 75lb ft. What would cause them to sheer and am i using the incorrect specs? Is there a better wheel stud to use. Dont want this to happen again. Please respond to rjmcastle@aol.com with any help. thanks

something doesn't sound right. you don't just sheer off 6 studs on the road.

Last edited:
fj40 wheel studs

I had noticed a slight wobble for the past couple of days only around 35 mph thought I had lost a wheel weight. I am running 35 12.50 15's and 1 1/2 wheel spacers.

Pics please!

I had noticed a slight wobble for the past couple of days only around 35 mph thought I had lost a wheel weight. I am running 35 12.50 15's and 1 1/2 wheel spacers.

Well, looks like things got loose on ya...and then failed.

Glad that you are hear to post about it, and did not kill anyone with your gaining of kollege kredits....

When things 'wobble', things are not right.

:meh:

poser no need to be a jerk

Last off road trip was about three weeks ago. When i get back from all trips I rotate my tires and always dbl check my spacer lugs and wheel lugs. When I said wobble I guess i should of said slight vibration. Still no suggestions on what could of caused this to happen.

Which wheel studs broke? The spacer's or the hub?

Jerk? :lol:

You are the one running 1.5” wheel spacers on a 1973, drum brake?:meh: axle with 35” tires....

Why does s*** fail? Because something got loose, hammered on the wheel studs and they failed.

Did you install new studs when you installed your wheel spacers? :hmm:

Or are you running on 30+ year old wheel studs, that you do not know if they have EVER been torqued too much, stretched, and finally, your supposedly insignificant little wobble was enough to make them fail?

Do you even have the correct spacers on the truck?

Again chief, I am glad that you and others did not get hurt.

Post up some pictures of your broken junk so others can learn.....

:beer:

Wheel studs broke not the spacer. No I did not replace wheel studs when I installed the spacers. Yes correct spacers from all-pro offroad. Is there a better quality stud to use? Should I be using longer studs than stock?

It's hard to blame you rjmcastle, I probably would have done the same thing. Those studs look good and why would they go bad? Well if you do some reading hear a bunch of folks have had similar problems. If some gorilla got on there with an air impact tool, could have caused stretching and micro cracks. All bets are off at that point. Do an advanced search for lug nuts. You will find that people here will give straight-up info and do their best to keep everyone safe. These older rigs have lots of fatigue on everything.

The first thing that came off my 40 was the PO installed wheel spacers. I agree with poser's take.

Maybe someone wanted your hooves but didn't get very far?

spacers are not a good idea all like posted it creates stress on the studs that may have been compromised previously.
Better to buy the correct wheel width offset to match the situation.

OK thanks for the input. Guess its time to get rid of the spacers and get some new wheels.

Moab the pickle
IMG_0559.jpg

Not sure if you have to give up on spacers, lots of folks run them. They do move the wheel out and make for higher stresses on the lugs, knuckles, axles. New lug studs pressed in and routine checks. I'm sure others can chime in here.
Nice pic. If you going to play like that you might need some truck axles.

call summit they will make a set of custom wheels for you that don't break the bank. I gotta set from them 16x10 2.5 backspace work well for me.

Make sure your are also not putting anti-sieze or any other lube on the studs. This will multiply the torque and sheer the studs off flush.

You running none stock rims? also check the taper on your wheel nut matches EXACTLY the seats on the rims, also that the thread on the stud is actually long enough to allow the nut to tighten all the way down, otherwise they will always work lose, spacers exacerbate the problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom