Wanted fj40 factory powers steering box. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Desperate need for a fj40 factory power steering box. Mine was swapped for a mini truck box at the rebuild shop.

is this part of the ongoing issue you have with the rebuild?

the empty housing used to be still available new from Toyota, not sure if it still is available tho.

Think it's still available,

the empty housing used to be still available new from Toyota, not sure if it still is available tho

Yes. Went from having to not having.

Cruiserhead,

It sounds like you're saying: the shop that rebuilt your existing FJ40 power steering box, returned to you a different power steering box from a minitruck? If so, why?

If it's a matter of theft or incompetence, tell them to give yours back to you, or face a lawsuit.

If yours was damaged by them, they need to provide a similar FJ40 unit for you, or reimburse you for what you believe is its value.

In any event, please explain a bit for folks reading about this.

the empty housing used to be still available new from Toyota, not sure if it still is available tho.

Cruiserhead,

It sounds like you're saying: the shop that rebuilt your existing FJ40 power steering box, returned to you a different power steering box from a minitruck? If so, why?

If it's a matter of theft or incompetence, tell them to give yours back to you, or face a lawsuit.

If yours was damaged by them, they need to provide a similar FJ40 unit for you, or reimburse you for what you believe is its value.

In any event, please explain a bit for folks reading about this.
Here ya go; I took some recommendations from Mud members and called the shop suggested. I explained what I had and what was wrong and they said they could fix it. (the box was in good working order it was just leaking.). They called and said it was repaired and sent it back to me. I reinstalled the unit and bled it out. I tried to steer the truck with the wheels on the ground and it would power assist kinda to the right and armstrong plus to the left. I jacked it back up and re bled it put it back on the ground and same issue. I called to place back and the said send it back and they would look at it and so I did. They called a week later and said they took it apart and the spool valve was bad and was not available and have searched everywhere??? and the unit could not be fixed, they would give me my money back and return the unit. (sux to be me #1) I have looked on Mud and found several people that have recommended sending their units to them to have the factory guts replaced with mini truck guts which as I hear is common for a fix and is a good fix. So they could and knew how to fix it, but never offered me this as a solution which I would have gladly paid even though there was nothing wrong with it when I sent it.
As I was waiting for my unit I took another suggestion and called another shop, told them what had happened and they said no problem they could fix it and had the parts. When the box arrived I shipped it to the second shop without looking at the unit. (sux to be me #2). when It arrived they said it wasnt the box they were expecting and would be a little cheaper. I like cheaper and ask no questions. They called and said they had it done and the box looked like it had not been gone through but was not a 40 box it was a minitruck. (sux to be me #3). I paid the $600 and they sent it back. SO here I sit bleeding out, I have no proof which one swapped the box because I did not look at the unit before I sent it to the second shop. I talked to my attorney and he said pretty much sux to be you. No proof who swapped it (I doubt if it was the second shop) and I would have to drive 3.5 miles one way to the city where the first shop is to file anything, probably cost a lot of money and not a good chance to win. I did call the first shop, tried to keep it civil but of course I loose my composure and say some colorful words that shouldn't have been said. (That's the best amends I can give right now) So lessons learned here: Trust your gut, if you don't, have plenty of salve so it wont be dry, make sure you ask if there is a chance they will kill it on the table, look at your stuff when it comes back and have a plan B before you send hard to find parts off to get repaired. This was my experience and obviously not everyone's on Mud. The first place I sent it to, I can sleep at night calling BS on the not fixing it. As for who swapped out the box I cant point a finger because I have no proof as to what was in the box so I will leave that alone.
20200904_112245.jpg

Cruiserhead,

Well, you sorta tried following some good advice from Mud members, but admittedly dropped the ball examining what was returned to you. With established shops, we expect they will remain honest, but the reality is that you need to be vigilant with everyone, less so with personal friends, we hope. Not expecting to be cheated, a conversation beforehand with the mechanic would probably be taken as an insult.

So I get it, you got screwed, and have decided to start over. Hard at this point to prove who the crook is/was. Perhaps lesson learned might be to put a permanent mark on your items, photograph it, before sending stuff out to be repaired, and hope that the odds of being cheated again are slim to none.

You're not alone on this--most of us, if we're honest about it, have been cheated at least once in our lifetimes, and the chances of being made whole again are pretty slim. There are bad apples in every occupation, and they can't seem to get weeded-out. However, there are some truly honorable mechanics here on Mud, whose reputation is king to them. If you read extensively here, you will see their names come up over and over again. Maybe one of them might take-on a steering box rebuild, but expect to pay for a man's knowledge and experience, likely more than a specialty steering box shop.

You seem to have tried, took some good advice, but ran into a wall. Thank God it isn't always that way. I hope you have better luck the second go on this. If and when you get this solved, please report back, as others read these threads and can learn from your experiences.

Cruiserhead,

Well, you sorta tried following some good advice from Mud members, but admittedly dropped the ball examining what was returned to you. With established shops, we expect they will remain honest, but the reality is that you need to be vigilant with everyone, less so with personal friends, we hope. Not expecting to be cheated, a conversation beforehand with the mechanic would probably be taken as an insult.

So I get it, you got screwed, and have decided to start over. Hard at this point to prove who the crook is/was. Perhaps lesson learned might be to put a permanent mark on your items, photograph it, before sending stuff out to be repaired, and hope that the odds of being cheated again are slim to none.

You're not alone on this--most of us, if we're honest about it, have been cheated at least once in our lifetimes, and the chances of being made whole again are pretty slim. There are bad apples in every occupation, and they can't seem to get weeded-out. However, there are some truly honorable mechanics here on Mud, whose reputation is king to them. If you read extensively here, you will see their names come up over and over again. Maybe one of them might take-on a steering box rebuild, but expect to pay for a man's knowledge and experience, likely more than a specialty steering box shop.

You seem to have tried, took some good advice, but ran into a wall. Thank God it isn't always that way. I hope you have better luck the second go on this. If and when you get this solved, please report back, as others read these threads and can learn from your experiences.
Thanks very much. Yes a wealth of knowledge and experience among the members. They have been extremely helpful and kind. Have a blessed and safe weekend and I will update you when I get the old girl back on the trail.

Thanks ill be ordering tomorrow

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope this all works out, if expensive as hell. Sounds like It may be best to work directly with straight line steering in CA if they are the ones doing the work anyway.

Best of luck.

New housing and seals ordered. Moving forward now.
FYI Dealership said there are 3 housings in the US. I bought one leaving 2 now.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Baby be back on trail soon hope to see yall there. Have a blessed and safe weekend and holiday.

Can I ask why you wanted the 40 steering gear? Originality? Or is the 40 steering gear superior to the mini truck? Curious, because I am on the hunt for a steering box for my BJ 42 conversion and was thinking I would use a mini truck box because they seem relatively easy to find and work well.

Can I ask why you wanted the 40 steering gear? Originality? Or is the 40 steering gear superior to the mini truck? Curious, because I am on the hunt for a steering box for my BJ 42 conversion and was thinking I would use a mini truck box because they seem relatively easy to find and work well.
My truck came from the factory with power steering. I have been running 35's for 11 years, daily driver for some of the years and hard wheeling with no issues

The mini truck power steering box is basically the same. Big difference is the angle is way off when bolted to the FJ40 pedestal. To use requires drilling the rivets on the pedestal and replacing that pedestal with a aftermarket market pedestal. That aftermarket parts would hurt the value the truck. If it was all bolt together parts wouldn't be as bad as removing factory rivets.

The mini truck power steering box is basically the same. Big difference is the angle is way off when bolted to the FJ40 pedestal. To use requires drilling the rivets on the pedestal and replacing that pedestal with a aftermarket market pedestal. That aftermarket parts would hurt the value the truck. If it was all bolt together parts wouldn't be as bad as removing factory rivets.

Exactly. A few posts up is my mini on a stock pedisal. Maybe two sprockets and a bicycle chain. Problem solved hehehe!

how are you sure your box wasnt a mini truck box from the get-go?

The OP has another thread. He was trying to fix an issue with his original PS gearbox.

how are you sure your box wasnt a mini truck box from the get-go?
1st picture mini box sent back to me. second picture factory housing with guts from mini box installed. Truck has factory power steering.

20200904_112245.jpg

20200924_192833.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom