Fj40 Diff On A Fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if I can swap a 4.11 fj40 diff into my fj62 diff (4.11) ???

My 62 began to make a constant grinding noise as the vehicle moves forward or backward and I'm thinking the pinion bearings are gone.

Any help is appreciated.

No problem. You have fine spline vs coarse spline (FJ40) but that wont effect it working it just wont be as strong. The flanges are diffferent so you will wna tto swap the 62 flange for the 40 flange.

The older FJ40 diffs have smaller holes all the way around the carrier housing, it will still work you just have to hog out the holes. I am not sure on the year that they were smaller but I am guessing mid 60's and older. Most 40 carriers will work fine, I haven't seen too many of the older ones.

Are the axle shaft splines the same?
Thanks

I do believe so.

svo_jon said:
Are the axle shaft splines the same?
Thanks

Yes, as long as it is from a 68' and later axle, earlier ones are 10 spline rather than the later 30 spline...

The bolt holes are smaller on the 67' and earlier axles... (8mm versus 10mm)

Flange pattern will be different, and you can only swap the flanges if the FJ40 has a fine spline pinion (79'ish and later & aftermarket).

:D

if it's course spline, get the slip shaft from the 40 driveshaft and swap that into the 62. then the flange isn't an issue.

ALEXGAR said:
Anyone know if I can swap a 4.11 fj40 diff into my fj62 diff (4.11) ???

My 62 began to make a constant grinding noise as the vehicle moves forward or backward and I'm thinking the pinion bearings are gone.

Any help is appreciated.

why do you think your pinion bearings are gone? i have the same noise as you and i was wondering what could it be? :frown: now i'm worried

what's the price for pinion bearings?

sorry for using your thread to ask about my problem :whoops:

FJ60_cruiser said:
...what's the price for pinion bearings?..

Pretty cheap (~$50 for both) or $110 for all the bearings, seal and shims...

But to do BOTH pinion bearings, it requires the differential case to be pulled, and the gears will need to be setup by a pro. So it does get a bit expensive if you can't do the R&P setup.

dieselcruiserhead said:
Rumor has it it's '65 and eariler last I heard ;)

Sure? I thought it was 67' and later... SOR agrees. I am pretty sure I have parted out some 66-67ish axles that were the small studs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom