Builds FJ40 Crash Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LCNuts

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I'd start this thread to help document the rebuild of my FJ40 which I've decided to name "Marco". For those of you who don't, This past Sunday a Dodge Ram decided to take a left turn without yielding to on coming traffic. We hit fender to fender at about 35mph but luckily no one was hurt.

Before

PXL_20210416_172211089.jpg

After

PXL_20210523_223210584.jpg

Here is a list of the damage I can see so far. I'm waiting on insurance to do their thing before I start taking it apart. I'm sure more damage will be revealed.

Fender (smashed)
Fender apron (smashed)
Kick vent panel (fixable?)
Runing board (smashed)
Leaf Spring (bent)
Bilstien Shock (snapped)
Turn signal (smashed)
Snorkel (smashed?)
Relay Rod (bent)
Rim (bent beyond repair)
Front bumper (bent but fixable)
Windshield (smashed)
Seat belts (both snapped)
Tub (small crease)
Bezel (inverted)

PXL_20210528_174100493.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are okay, but hate to see Marco smashed up.
you will get to know him much better over the coming months!
Good luck with the rebuild

There is no re-build tag, but I modded the thread to a build.

Also, I didn't see the bezel on that repair list. 😁
Ha, I never took time to make sure mine was on the right way until now 🤦🏼. I just knew I wasn't that person. I feel kinda stupid but it was the PO that did it. I'll update the list. The land cruiser gods must have punished me for it

Sorry to hear this, Charles. Glad nobody was hurt though. Let me know if I can lend a hand getting Marco back on the trail.

Small update. Insurance adjuster came and gave me estimate of $3300. I feel like that's pretty low. I'm currently battling that to try to get as much money as I can. I did start tearing everything apart this afternoon. The silver lining I have found is the PS conversion kit I bought 2 months ago will be pretty easy to put on now.

PXL_20210607_213107198.jpg

Carrniage

PXL_20210607_220001415.jpg

Was good to meet you this past weekend. Now I can put a face to the build.

Watching intently.

I've been very slack on keeping this updated but lots of progress has been made recently. I took a one year hiatus and got back on it in the past few months.

I replaced the bent spring and got her back on all four wheels. Also weld on the kick vent section of the cowling and bolted on the fender and apron. I went with a aftermarket fender from CCOT. I am not impressed with it's fitment and wish I'd searched for a good used one. Some bolt holes were not drilled and others didn't line up all that well. I did force it together but the body lines are not perfect which admittedly could be because it's been wrecked. It will have to be close enough. I also found a hell of a deal on a new in the box ARB front bumper so I decided to save my homemade winch bumper for the LV.
PXL_20230325_142640964.jpg
PXL_20230326_212047676.jpg

While I had the fender off, there couldn't have been a better time to install a saginaw power steering kit from Cruiser Outfitters. It was trial and error. I had to redrill the mounting holes for the steering box because I welded the bracket in the wrong place. The next one I install will be a lot easier

PXL_20230312_211610722.jpg
PXL_20230312_211630886.jpg

Nice progress. I know from much experience how much the CCOT fenders suck. Saginaw power steering upgrade is awesome for anything that gets wheeled. I personally like the 4x4 labs box mounting kit. Either way, it’s PLENTY strong for what that truck will see. What Saginaw box did you get, and I assume you’ll be keeping the stock steering wheel?

Nice progress. I know from much experience how much the CCOT fenders suck. Saginaw power steering upgrade is awesome for anything that gets wheeled. I personally like the 4x4 labs box mounting kit. Either way, it’s PLENTY strong for what that truck will see. What Saginaw box did you get, and I assume you’ll be keeping the stock steering wheel?
I like the looks of the labs kit but unfortunately I didn't see that one until after the fact. What messed me up was when I welded the tube that goes through the cross member it warped on me. That just tightened everything up and made my mounting hole a half a hole off.

I went with the Saginaw 4.25 turn box and keeping the stock steering wheel. I drove it around the yard last night and I'm pretty satisfied. I'm not sure how I went without power steering for so long.