FJ40 at salvage auction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting... Looks like a mostly original survivor. I noticed the unleaded fuel label on the dash, white spoke wheels and mostly intact seats. I maybe see original floor mat. I see the original console between the seats. Listing says automatic, but I distinctly see the four speed shifter intact. Looks like is has 86K miles. I can see that the steering wheel shaft cover is missing and looks like the key cylinder is missing. So, probably was stolen. Interesting that it says $17K retail value. That is a staggering figure seeing how much rust it has or guess some would call it "patina". That would make the original 1970 on this forum worth at good bit of money as well. Then compare them to this 1977 on BAT at $26K with 7 hours left. I'm guessing it will go in the upper $20s to low $30s. To bring the first two up to the level of the one on BAT would cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
Interesting... Looks like a mostly original survivor. I noticed the unleaded fuel label on the dash, white spoke wheels and mostly intact seats. I maybe see original floor mat. I see the original console between the seats. Listing says automatic, but I distinctly see the four speed shifter intact. Looks like is has 86K miles. I can see that the steering wheel shaft cover is missing and looks like the key cylinder is missing. So, probably was stolen. Interesting that it says $17K retail value. That is a staggering figure seeing how much rust it has or guess some would call it "patina". That would make the original 1970 on this forum worth at good bit of money as well. Then compare them to this 1977 on BAT at $26K with 7 hours left. I'm guessing it will go in the upper $20s to low $30s. To bring the first two up to the level of the one on BAT would cost an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the estimated value on Copart. It's usually way off, usually in the extremely high direction. I think they just go off some kind of generic blue book value that doesn't take any mitigating factors at all into account (like rust, theft, mechanical problems, or even a complete catastrophic wreck). So a 2021 Land Cruiser that is crumpled up like an aluminum can and burnt to a crisp will have an estimated value of $71k or so.

The truck is in way rougher condition that either of the vehicles you mentioned. Screws are clearly missing, who knows how the engine runs, the rust could be deeper than either of the ones you mentioned as well (a lot of it looks hidden by crappy pictures, a big rust spot is clearly visible on the hood, and the frame is orange). It needs several thousands in repairs to be roadworthy no doubt. No way it sells above 20k unless some unknowing guy goes crazy in the bidding

Not trying to be a jerk, but this type of post should go in the classifieds.

Yeah, good point. Sorry, just figured someone here might be interested. It's not my vehicle, feels weird posting something that isn't mine in the classifieds, just wanted to give folks a heads up. Honestly it'll probably go super cheap. These Copart auctions are mostly junk/salvage vehicles, and they're all sold as-is. So if you know what to look for, and with a little luck, you can get a crazy deal because most dealers and even novice Cruiser enthusiasts aren't gunna wanna touch something sold as-is at a salvage yard. I guess the trick is NOT bidding against someone who is gunna drive the price up.....so maybe ya'll can collude on that or something, or don't, or delete the whole thread. I don't really care either way, no dog in this fight at all....just wanted to give folks a heads up. Aloha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom