FJ/mini Hybrid axle question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to build another Hybrid rear axle and would like to build it 58 inches wide instead of the normal 55 inches. I need to know if I can use the drive axles and brakes from an '86+ IFS rear axle with the '85 straight axle rear outer tubes or do I need to use the outer end of the '86+ axle tubes? The '86+ is fatter so it won't fit inside the FJ tubes. I don't have an '86+ housing to look at.

Has anyone done this?

:confused:

You'll need the bearing flanges from the 85-older but IIRC they work with the 86-newer axle sizes....

I considered doing this too, but if you need to replace an axle, you add work since you'll need to move your flanges from the busted axle to the replacement....

The botl pattern is the same for the two but you have to make sure that the new axles do not have the provision for ABS.

Do you think it would be possible to use the '86+ flanges and all so that an '86 axle would bolt in with no mods on the trail? I have a lathe and can do some machining if neccesary. Are the '86 brakes better than '85-? I'm trying to build the best all Toyota axle I can, to run centered rear diff, that will match the FJ60 front axle. I have been running wheelspacers but would like to eliminate the need for them.

Woody - My kids dig the "Bumble" avatar!

Jason - you snuck that in while I was typing

Does that mean I can just set up the housing at the right wdth and the '86+ parts will bolt on? That would be perfect. I'm assuming the '86+ brakes might be an upgrade?

I would suspect so, the bearings and the bearing retainer (inner seal surface) are the same..

But, I have not done it yet..

What years did they start using ABS? Starting the search for a '86+ axle to rape for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom