FJ 62 transmission problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '89 FJ62 has the same sporadic transmission problems as Mud Taxi. Fluid is bright red and full at hot. Sometimes on first start there is a long delay between shifting to drive and the transmission responding. Most of the shifts are firm with no slip but then a high rev into 2nd or 3rd will occur. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you are in the 200+ mile category, you are in classic tranny rebuild age. If you have a trusted transmission shop nearby, perhaps get their opinion and estimate.

If and when you rebuild/repair, consider major efforts to control tranny heat. I didn't figure this out until during my recent restoration which is about 35K miles after tranny rebuild. I was shocked at how hot my tranny was running and why. Once I "engineered" a system to overcome that, my tranny operating temps dropped up to 150 degrees. My solution had four elements: a 12" condenser fan, a B&M tranny cooler immediately in front of the fan, a new radiator with integral tranny cooler, and radiant heat shielding of the exhaust adjacent to the transmission. I summarize it in post #139 of my build thread. You can find specific details of each through the thread. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62

BTW, I also switched to synthetic ATF and transfer case oil during all that.

Good luck.

Have you ever dropped the pan to clean the filter in there? If that hasn't been done, I'd try that before anything. If you do it yourself, all it will cost you is a new pan gasket, a can of brake cleaner and some new ATF. At 165K, it worked wonders on mine.

Also check the throttle cable for adjustment...
Also check the throttle cable for adjustment...

Both great suggestions. The discovery of the throttle cable (aka throttle position cable) being way out of adjustment was critical to our decision to go into the restoration. What I thought was a wasted engine was just a miss-adjustment of that cable. I'd never heard of it, but the Toyota local specialty shop mechanic caught that immediately.

All above are the checks and adjustments before giving up hope on the tranmission. Drain, clean the metal reusable filter, bolt the pan back on GENTLY then adjust throttle cable.

IIRC tranny pan bolt torque is only 10 in-lbs. It's stupid loose, but the cork gasket expands when it soaks up ATF so I think the fairly loose torque was intended to accommodate for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom