88 FJ transmission help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
i am starting to have a strange issue. It just popped up today. I have zero kick down when I push the pedal to the floor. It also seems there is some strange noise as I take off and it wants to kick down then drives fine. I have two videos I am trying to attach. Need to figure out how

also reverse is a bit harsh when going into gear.

i know I am not explaining this clearly and will do my best to. I appreciate everyone’s help.

I guess my question is, is there an adjustment for the kick down? New cable? Or is it time for a HF55 swap ( only want to tackle if this tranny is dying)

There is an adjustment of the cable they also get frayed and stick so your gonna want to check it before adjustment

I was chasing this behavior for months and it turned out my kickdown cable needed some lubrication and a reset back to factory spec with the cable end nut adjustment. If the cable isn't moving freely in the housing when you disconnect it from the throttle body, it needs some lubrication.

You can use transmission fluid to lubricate the cable, since it feeds into the housing at the other end. I used transmission fluid and a cable lubricant, but I think just transmission fluid is recommended

I tried a few different adjustment points before reverting to the FSM spec and that fixed all my issues. I have a new OEM kickdown cable just in case this one kicks the dust one day, but I would try rehabbing yours before going that route. When the kickdown isn't working as expected, it can mimic symptoms of scary transmission issues, but it's usually just the cable action binding.

Thank you both for your help. sorry to ask. Do we have a FSM I can buy or online I can see what I am doing? Thank you again

It could be going into reverse hard because of worn splines.

Kick down cable broken. So I don’t see in the FSM how to swap out the cable…do I have to open up the transmission?

you need to drop the oil pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom