FJ 62 Steering Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have another question for you all,

A couple months back i did a shackle lift and put 33s on my stock 1988 FJ62. I never did the shim because i really never thought bump-steer would be a problem, and it hasn't been. I upgraded the steering stabilizer, tightened the steering down a bit, and it has been perfect to drive. Lately however there seems to be a lot of feedback from the road coming through my steering wheel. Its not like i cant drive it, but that it takes more energy to drive it now. Part of the problem i found was over-pressurizing the front tires, once i let some air out it helped a little. Now though i can feel every bump and groove in the road. Its mainly when i am going 40+ that i feel this, its not bad to drive its just weird how this just sorta happened.

Driving at low speeds is good, i still have plenty of ATF left in the PS reservoir. The whole steering system is tight with no messed up connections (i have replaced all of that in the last year). The only thing i can think of now is that my steering stabilizer just decided to go once it got super cold, what do you guys think? Its a pain in the ass to get this new steering stabilizer off so id like to at least have someone input before i bust my knuckles again.

The ss is probably the least impactful piece of the steering puzzle. If you’ve replaced all ball joints, drag link, etc and still happening jack up the front end and start checking for play. If you haven’t replaced, everyone seems to like the 555 sets. Also may check your spring bushings. Good luck!

Last edited:
The ss is probably the least impactful piece of the steering puzzle. If you’ve replaced all ball joints, drag link, etc and still happening jack up the front end and start checking for play. If you haven’t replaced, everyone seems to like the 555 sets. Also may check your spring bushings. Good luck!
I replaced everything to the 555 Japan set, and also replaced the spring bushings. The thing that is pointing me to the Steering Stabilizer is that at low speeds there is absolutely no feedback through the steering wheel. Even at high speeds its not bad i just can feel every bit of through my steering system.

The other reason why i think it might be the SS is that it only started happening when it got super cold, and i also bought the cheapest one i found. Ill Jack it up and start looking through things though.

THIS! -----> "A couple months back i did a SHACKLE LIFT and put 33s on my stock 1988 FJ62. "

Bump steer, wandering, stiff ride. Those are all because you lifted your truck with a shackle lift. The shackle ANGLE is now wrong.

THIS! -----> "A couple months back i did a SHACKLE LIFT and put 33s on my stock 1988 FJ62. "

Bump steer, wandering, stiff ride. Those are all because you lifted your truck with a shackle lift. The shackle ANGLE is now wrong.
I get what you mean, but it was driving good for the last few months. If the shackle angle is wrong why would it only start now? Also it was only about a 3/4" lift. Not like i did a 3" monster lift. Theoretically it should have put my shackle angle back to where it was before my springs wore out.

I think a picture of your shackle angle would be appropriate to start.

Regarding steering stabilizers. I ran without one for over ten years. The stabilizer is not the problem IMO.

I think a picture of your shackle angle would be appropriate to start.

Regarding steering stabilizers. I ran without one for over ten years. The stabilizer is not the problem IMO.
You can sorta see the shackle angle in my profile pic. Its about 10-15 degrees off of horizontal. the reason why i was saying it could be the steering stabilizer is that since i never did the shim to re position my axle the stabilizer is far more critical than before. Also it would explain how it just started acting up after 6+ months of perfect driving.

Regardless of what it is, it has to be something that has happened recently since it drove perfectly fine for 6+ months with the new shackles on it.

Your steering stabilizer may have been hiding your messed up caster angle. Now that your steering stabilizer is wearing out (because it's working harder) you're noticing the incorrect lift consequences.

As a test, remove the shackle lift and install your stock shackles. If the driving experience returns to normal you have found your culprit.

Your steering stabilizer may have been hiding your messed up caster angle. Now that your steering stabilizer is wearing out (because it's working harder) you're noticing the incorrect lift consequences.

That was my thought process, though i think the reason my steering stabilizer is wearing out is because it only cost 30 bucks. As for the the changes caster angle. I agree, i really need to get the shim to adjust the angle back just haven't done that yet.

Though for the time being until i can get back to my shop, i think buying an OME or a HFS steering stabilizer will band aid it enough.

@Fieldtester96 ...How are your tie rods? Mine got quite loose; too loose to align the front end. My OME stabilizer was also quite old. I was experiencing lane wander which was caused by a combo of those things plus steering having a bit too much play. I was always chasing it around, unable to take my eyes off the road for a second because I could not feel the road through the steering wheel. Correcting those three things (new tie rods, OME stabilizer, and snugging up the steering a touch) has made my driving much easier.

Peculiar to your description is that you regard feeling the road a problem. Perhaps that is a matter of quantity. The problem with my steering is that I couldn't feel the road in the steering wheel. Now I can, and that's a good thing.

FYI, I also have the OME medium suspension, so there is some lift. 31 x 10.5 tires on OEM 15" rims.

The big tires have worn in a bit. The ride will only get worse from here on out as they wear flatter. The problem isn't the steering stabilizer, it's the big tires.

@Fieldtester96 ...How are your tie rods? Mine got quite loose; too loose to align the front end. My OME stabilizer was also quite old. I was experiencing lane wander which was caused by a combo of those things plus steering having a bit too much play. I was always chasing it around, unable to take my eyes off the road for a second because I could not feel the road through the steering wheel. Correcting those three things (new tie rods, OME stabilizer, and snugging up the steering a touch) has made my driving much easier.

Peculiar to your description is that you regard feeling the road a problem. Perhaps that is a matter of quantity. The problem with my steering is that I couldn't feel the road in the steering wheel. Now I can, and that's a good thing.

FYI, I also have the OME medium suspension, so there is some lift. 31 x 10.5 tires on OEM 15" rims.
Really i replaced everything on the steering, its all tight and with no signs of play driving low speeds. I might have the opposite problem where everything is just way to tight so im feeling every little bump. For the last 6 months i was actually able to feel the ruts in the road but now its like i can feel every little crack. The positive side is i dont get wandering unless there is a groove in the road that wanders.

I know part has to do with the shackle lift tipping the caster angle down, but i just cant figure out why such a drastic change over night. The only option that makes since is that i bought a cheap stabilizer which when it got cold lost its compression causing it to no longer function. Which still is a stretch

The big tires have worn in a bit. The ride will only get worse from here on out as they wear flatter. The problem isn't the steering stabilizer, it's the big tires.
I mean i get that, but 10.5" 33s" are not that big of a tire compared to some people on here. Though oddly enough when i ran them at 50 psi ( they were that high because of a faulty psi gauge) it rode the worst. It got better when i dropped it down to 40 psi, and didnt change when i dropped it down to 35 psi. The lower psi would actually make them flatter, which would if i understand your logic should make it drive worse? correct?

Even if you install the shims you haven't solved what sits above it. A shackle lift is no good, period. You need to take it out.

Why do you want a lifted truck? We need to start with your motivation. If your only goal is to fit 33's then do a body lift and keep your suspension and steering stock.

Now let's talk about you on 33's. You haven't regeared the truck and your differential gears are stock 4.11's. You are overheating your A440F transmission. If will eventually fail on you. Not if, but when.

You need to do the following if you haven't already:
1. Transmission cooler asap.
2. regear the truck to 4.56 ring and pinion gears front and rear.

You wanted 33's and it will cost you a $2,000 rebuild transmission and other problems unless you DO IT RIGHT.

I am sure you don't want to hear this but sometimes truth hurts.

Even if you install the shims you haven't solved what sits above it. A shackle lift is no good, period. You need to take it out.

Why do you want a lifted truck? We need to start with your motivation. If your only goal is to fit 33's then do a body lift and keep your suspension and steering stock.

Now let's talk about you on 33's. You haven't regeared the truck and your differential gears are stock 4.11's. You are overheated your A440F transmission. If will eventually fail on you.

You need to do the following if you haven't already:
1. Transmission cooler asap.
2. regear the truck to 4.56 ring and pinion gears front and rear.

You wanted 33's and it will cost you a $2,000 rebuild transmission and other problems unless you DO IT RIGHT.

I am sure you don't want to hear this but sometimes truth hurts.
First off, of all the research i have done, they say your okay with stock gears until you put 35s on. Also i havent even come close to over heating even driving in 100 degree weather. Also the shackle angle isnt bad it is actually more close to the original angle since my springs are old.

I get what you're saying but i frankly feel like thats over kill to over gear for just 33's. Also i checked and the steering stabilizer is leaking its fluid. Which means thats probably what caused the problem to worsen.

Good luck to you sir.

None of my business at all, but I purchased an FJ62 that had 33's on it for who knows how long without any modification. Guess what I am having to go through right now? And $2000 for a rebuild I consider a giveaway. It's twice that.

None of my business at all, but I purchased an FJ62 that had 33's on it for who knows how long without any modification. Guess what I am having to go through right now? And $2000 for a rebuild I consider a giveaway. It's twice that.
No its okay i want everyones opinion. I just have this weird thing where i like opinons backed up with data. That being said the point im trying to make is i read at least 20 threads on here saying 33s on stock 4.11 was perfectly fine. And as for the trans cooler i know its a mod people do all the time but ive never had a problem with mine. It may be because ive had it serviced in the last 5 years.

So please tell me what went wrong and how your dealing with it. Im more than willing to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom