FJ-40 Value Estimate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could rent a U Haul trailer if you don't have one. I wouldn't try to drive it, even if it ran good. You still need to look at the brakes first, before you can drive it.

buy it!
and ill give you 50$ AND a case of beer for the driver door

IMHO if you want to buy it, buy it and part it out. That thing will cost you over 10k to restore it right. Trust me I know, and mine was not wrecked and a complete rig.

It's definitely a parts truck due to the frame being our of wack. There really are VERY few frame shops with the equipment to straighten that thing out because it is a very heavy and thick frame. If you really really want to get this truck I would also run a pressure check on the engine. Offer the guy 100 bucks and explain all the reasons why you are only offering him 100 bucks by pointing out all the issues. If he doesn't take it walk away. The next time you see him casually ask him how it is going on selling the thing and if it is still there offer him 500 for it because he is a friend and it will be off his property ASAP. Oh I just though of this... get a long true straight edge and put it up against the frame. I bet you notice that it is shifted pretty sugnificantly to the passenger side. And this guy isn't your friend he is trying to make a buck, he knows it isn't worth anything and that the frame is bent, that is why it has been sitting for years. I also wouldn't be surprised if the front axle has internal issues because of the shot it took in the accident.

It's definitely a parts truck due to the frame being our of wack. There really are VERY few frame shops with the equipment to straighten that thing out because it is a very heavy and thick frame. If you really really want to get this truck I would also run a pressure check on the engine. Offer the guy 100 bucks and explain all the reasons why you are only offering him 100 bucks by pointing out all the issues. If he doesn't take it walk away. The next time you see him casually ask him how it is going on selling the thing and if it is still there offer him 500 for it because he is a friend and it will be off his property ASAP. Oh I just though of this... get a long true straight edge and put it up against the frame. I bet you notice that it is shifted pretty sugnificantly to the passenger side. And this guy isn't your friend he is trying to make a buck, he knows it isn't worth anything and that the frame is bent, that is why it has been sitting for years. I also wouldn't be surprised if the front axle has internal issues because of the shot it took in the accident.

Naw, I think you get the wrong idea, he was a friend first and I noticed he had a cruiser and asked if he was interested in selling it :p

In his words, its fine with him if it stays there forever and fades into the landscape, but he knows it can do better things.

Next time I'm up there I'll take a look at the frame, and see if I can get it started up and test the cylinders etc.

What ever it hit or hit it popped the top bumper plate rivet on the driverside. Those are pretty tough. The hood is missaligned,.

Dan,

The upper bumper plates are bolted to the frame, not riveted. The side brackets are riveted to the frame.

The hood misalignment is due to the fender being hit, I don't know about a bent frame, I am not seeing what you guys are seeing.

As was mentioned earlier, rent a trailer and tow it home safely. Before you go driving any vehicle that has been setting for any length of time you will need the brakes looked at, adjusted or replaced. That goes for the steering and tires and all fluids topped off. Guys are saying this to not only keep you safe, but anyone who might be with you and everyone on the road with you.

Why was it parked in the first place???

OH, and on the bumper part, he actually took those bolts out, he has the bolts in the cab sitting on the dash. I'm not sure why they're out but there was some reason.

He parked it after he got a 3rd gen Toyota pickup with a 22RE/5spd 4wd that I'll be getting from him at some point too :p

The badly drawn lines show the low points in the waves in the frame. The circle closest to the shock tower looks like a crack, the second circle show a deformation in the circle. These are the issues that I see. This could just be a trick of the camera, but if not those are bad signs. I am adding a second picture with the close up.
DSC_0086scaled.jpg
DSC_0086scaled1.jpg

Last edited:
The lens has no distortion, so that could certainly be a bit of a deformation in the frame, and that part does look a little like a crack, but could be the paint. Good analysis

Last edited:
Good. Now we have it down to a $100 truck. No wait !! a case of beer !!

That frame has probably taken a few hits in it's day, I know mine has. I look at mine straight on with the bumper off and I can see that it is tweaked a little. That probably will not affect driveability, and if you decide to do a frame off that's an easy fix.

Now give the guy his beer !!

Well, thats not bad news for me I guess :p

Here's a higher resolution zoom on that area for you.

possibleframedamage.jpg

From what I can tell it is worth about $1000 maybe $1500 (I'm not a expert) if the motor is in good shape. It's not in that bad of shape. I don't see any cracks in the frame with that new picture. It all depends on what you want to do with it. That's just my own opinion. You could part it out and get your money back. I think with a little bit of work though, you could be knocking around town in it. You will probably have to put about another $1000 in it, with brake work and maybe a little bit of engine work, probably bushings in the suspension too, that's if you do all the work yourself. If you were to buy a fj40 already running and in that kind of shape you would most likely pay $3000 for it.
Good luck

Naw, I think you get the wrong idea, he was a friend first...

You will never truly know who your friends are unless you go into business with them or you live with them. I learned this the hard way. If he was your friend, he would give you the vehicle because it really isn't worth that much. He didn't stop driving it because he got a new toy truck, he stopped driving it because it got jacked up in an accident. If you believe that this guy is being your friend and not conducting a business transaction first, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that you are absolutely going to love yo... real cheap too.

Unless you can get it for 500 or less let it sit there and rot. The economy sucks right now, he will come back to you when he really needs the money.

Honestly if it was my rig I would give it to you rather than see it rot. The bones of the vehicle, the frame, is shot and that thing is never going to steer right. When you have a straight frame and your steering is adjusted right on a FJ-40 you can run down the road like you are on rails. This thing is going to be pulling left and unless you get the frame straightened it will never run right and your will chew threw tires. It's going to cost you a bare minimum of a G just to get he frame straightened if you find a shop with the equipment to do it. And the body work that you need to do after that is neither fun or for the feight hearted. I have been down this road once before and it will burn a hole in your pocket.

It's a good parts truck, if you can find a second parts truck you can pick and match the best of both and make one very good FJ-40 for cheap. Don't get drunk on the fact that it is a FJ-40 and buy it on impulse which is another mistake that I have made in the past. Walk away, wait a month or 2, it isn't going anywhere and it will give you time to think and not run on emotion.

When you have a straight frame and your steering is adjusted right on a FJ-40 you can run down the road like you are on rails.

Not to disagree, frame might or might not be bent and if it's had a knock it might not drive 100%, although the photos don't suggest the frame is very out of wack and the suspension of a 40 series isn't the most critial setup.

Just never thought of any 40 series driving like it's on rails, certainly never had one corner like it is on rails.

I stand by it having to be worth $1000 if the engine runs and is good but I have a feeling that truck as been there a long time and between the engine, brakes and moving it from where it is, there is another $1000 to spend straight off.

Just never thought of any 40 series driving like it's on rails, certainly never had one corner like it is on rails.

I never said anything about cornering. :D See if some thing is on rails, it does not need to be steered. :steer: It refers to going straight. Cornering in a 40 is worse than Ford Explorer on Firestones no matter how perfect the steering is set up.

Also, at the current exchange rate, 1000 Aus = 638.55 Dollars. So we are pretty close in our opinion about price.

I would be very much interested in the complete softtop and Rollbar! :bounce:

Buy it and part it out! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom