Fixing Rear Bumper with after market one, is this worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys I'm new here and just wondering if I could some opinions on my situation before I go through with this purchase. I recently received a 1996 Toyota Landcruiser from my dads friend in very good condition.
The other day while I was picking up lunch an old man hit my back bumper 2 times while I was parked and he was pulling out. Its not a ton of damage but the damage disabled me from opening the bottom hatch of the trunk. So since the insurance company is going to be dishing out a decent amount of money, I thought this would be a good time to get the rear armored bumper that I was thinking of getting.
Here is the one that I was looking at:
VPR 4x4® - Rear Bumper with Wheel Carrier
Im not really sure what I am getting myself into with this purchase and whether or not this company is good but Im looking for one that has a tire mount included. If any of you have thoughts or opinions on this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Never heard of them before...I would spend some time searching through the vendors here on mud that produce quality armor, here are a few of the vendors that produce high quality products.

Trail Tailor
slee offroad
Costa Fabrication
4x4 Labs
Bump It OffRoad (BIOR)

Post pics of the damage. You don’t have a rear bumper. The steel, center section is actually the frame. Bent frame is bad juju on an old truck because the insurance company may choose to total it.

VPR... I emailed them about sliders for the 80 asking if they were going to offer them with Cat protection... they emailed me back and said they didn't know if they had that with their sliders. .... my thought would maybe look at another place first if they don't even know what features their products have. Of course could have just been the person who responded to me.

VPR 4X4 is a Venezuelan company that has a pretty good reputation down south. @Payara Offroad

IDK about VPR, but Iron Pig stuff is stout, quality stuff. Same with the Slee.

Both are more stout than the construction of ARB's front bumpers - If I was shopping rear swingout bumpers both of those companies would be on my list for pre-built bumpers.
Both are bumpers that "win" if you ever get rear-ended again.

You really should post pics of damage - those 4 bolts holding VPR pintle/ball hitch on are what is part of the rear frame, if damaged there neither bumper will slide over a bent frame.

If your frame is pooched up pretty good in the back, a 4x4labs bumper may be worth considering if you don't need a receiver to tow & can weld/subcontract out welding as the bumper is a kit & you cut off the last ~2"+ of the frame.

Did the other driver just damage the tailgate or is the body where the hinges are damaged?
Or is the reason the tailgate won't go down because of damage to the rear "bumper
panels"/rear of frame?

If your frame is pooched up pretty good in the back, a 4x4labs bumper may be worth considering if you don't need a receiver to tow & can weld/subcontract out welding as the bumper is a kit & you cut off the last ~2"+ of the frame.

Labs bumper also can be had fully welded and ready to bolt on.

Not a fan of the VPR stuff as much as some domestic builders/vendors. But as mentioned make sure the extent of damage is understood.

Rear metal ctr is the crossmember to the frame as mentioned. Is that what is preventing the gate operation or body damage?

Guys,
He's likely going to need someone handy with a cutter and welder. This used to be my truck; his dad is my business partner. I had a mechanic remove the hitch some time ago (at my asking), and at that time the DS side rear frame end bent slightly. There is preexisting rust behind the bumper caps.

If we can find someone to cut/weld AND install the new rear bumper, that's probably ideal. Maybe a road trip to Iron Pig Offroad is in order to get all that sorted.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom