Fixing 2000 toyota tundra brakes shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have a 2000 toyota tundra with very mushy brakes.

It all started with an intermittent braking issue where the brake pedal would be hard to press then it would go fairly soft.

I have swapped the brake booster with 3 different after market units and the brake master cylinder with 2 different after market units. The brake booster and master cylinder are NLA from Toyota.
I also bled the system the old fashioned way, vacuum brake bleeding and Positive pressure bleeding. I'm 100% sure there is no air in the system.

I have already had a shop take a look and spent $$$ on all new rear brakes and front calipers/rotors. This did not fix the issue.

I am about at my wits end with this truck.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop who might be able to diagnose this issue?

Thanks,
Alex

Vacuum leak to your booster? That would generally cause a stiff pedal though. ABS module going out? Sometimes you can find a gravel road and accelerate hard and then brake hard to get the ABS to actuate and it will potentially free anything up.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2000 Tundra with similar symptoms. Sometimes the brake pedal is super hard and other times it goes down to the floorboard.

I've also experienced an issue where it seems the brakes are being applied without me pushing on the pedal. I have to give it extra gas to fight the added resistance and when I let off the gas, the truck brakes to a stop more quickly than if it were to coast to a stop with normal engine braking.

My truck does have ABS though and I'm wondering if it's that or a stuck caliper/shoe. The first time the random braking happened was after I slammed on the brakes after someone cut me off. The brakes were basically locked and I couldn't move the truck. After a few minutes and restarting the engine it started going again and it's been intermittent ever since (although never as bad as that day).

I still haven't fixed the problem completely but I did replace the rear load sensing proportioning valve with a basic valve using the kit from firstgentundra.com:

That seemed to help a good bit. I also replaced the brake master cylinder and booster with those from a T100. and that also helped but the brakes are still hard to press. Almost like there is not enough vacuum or the booster I got isn't working as it should...

I also replaced the rear load sensing proportioning valve after noticing it had a leak. Afterwards I bled the brakes and I couldn't get anything out of one of the bleeder valves. Makes me wonder if one of the brake lines is clogged. Will have to look at it some more.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2000 Tundra with similar symptoms. Sometimes the brake pedal is super hard and other times it goes down to the floorboard.

I've also experienced an issue where it seems the brakes are being applied without me pushing on the pedal. I have to give it extra gas to fight the added resistance and when I let off the gas, the truck brakes to a stop more quickly than if it were to coast to a stop with normal engine braking.

My truck does have ABS though and I'm wondering if it's that or a stuck caliper/shoe. The first time the random braking happened was after I slammed on the brakes after someone cut me off. The brakes were basically locked and I couldn't move the truck. After a few minutes and restarting the engine it started going again and it's been intermittent ever since (although never as bad as that day).
This is a symptom of a brake booster going bad and / or bad MC to booster pin adj / bad pedal pin adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom