Fixed that blasted V8 manifold ticking noise quick and cheap! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all,
sorry if I connect to this old thread but since I also suspect a leak of exhaust gas from the exhaust manifolds, I wanted to know from LC2001 if I can do this test using only compressed air and soapy water
in particular I would like to know how to introduce compressed air into the engine

thank you

Giacomo

Hi all,
sorry if I connect to this old thread but since I also suspect a leak of exhaust gas from the exhaust manifolds, I wanted to know from LC2001 if I can do this test using only compressed air and soapy water
in particular I would like to know how to introduce compressed air into the engine

thank you

Giacomo
I made up a fitting (plug) for my compressed air hose with tape wrap around it. Then plugged tail pipe with taped fitting/air hose. Then dial up the air pressure a bit. I then turn the crank CW so that all valve at cylinder where I'm inspecting exhaust manifold are closed. I listen for air leak and spray soapy water on headers, watching for bubbles.

I build a cheap smoke machine using compressed air, new paint can, and charcoal. Pretty simple, and works well for intake and exhaust related leaks.

I built one using mineral oil for smoke, tried large color smoke bombs form 4 July also. Made a ton of smoke. But smoke dissipated before reaching exhaust crack in headers.

So I then just ran the compressed air and spay bottle with soapy water for bubbles. That's when I finally found the cracked header. Accord to service history it was an OEM replacement header Dealership installed, that was leaking.

1st time I know of replacement Toyota exhaust header cracking at wield, just like factory do. May have been old stock!

I made up a fitting (plug) for my compressed air hose with tape wrap around it. Then plugged tail pipe with taped fitting/air hose. Then dial up the air pressure a bit. I then turn the crank CW so that all valve at cylinder where I'm inspecting exhaust manifold are closed. I listen for air leak and spray soapy water on headers, watching for bubbles.

Thank you 2001LC

to have all the valves at cylinder where I'm inspecting exhaust manifold are closed, must the piston be at its lowest point ?

Giacomo

Well yes and no. On compression stroke, all valve are close at bottom and on the way up.

What I did was turn the crank with socket wrench until I saw air bubbles forming at header flange. It used sound first, to help isolate area. Then kept spraying soapy water on area. Doing this as I turned the crank.

Last edited:
Well yes and no. On compression stroke, all valve are close at bottom and on the way up.

What I did was turn the crank with socket wrench until I saw air bubbles forming at header flange. It used sound first, to help isolate area. Then kept spraying soapy water on area. Doing this as I turned the crank.

Thank you 2001LC

so if I understand correctly, I have to continually turn the crankshaft and see if there is a leak ....

for connection with the cylinder to be tested, have you used any special tools ?

Giacomo

Yes, you keep turning crank slowly. I use a 1/2 drive ratchet wrench with 22MM (IIRC) socket. You start by determining which side has the tick.

You could find top dead center on compression stroke of #1. Than mark crank pulley each position based on firing order. But by the time you do that, you could be done.

A note: So often we get a loose spark plug. This too will sound like exhaust manifold leak.

Yes, you keep turning crank slowly. I use a 1/2 drive ratchet wrench with 22MM (IIRC) socket. You start by determining which side has the tick.

You could find top dead center on compression stroke of #1. Than mark crank pulley each position based on firing order. But by the time you do that, you could be done.

A note: So often we get a loose spark plug. This too will sound like exhaust manifold leak.

Thank you

did you use any special tool to introduce the compressed air into the cylinder to be tested ?

Giacomo

I pressurizing the exhaust system from tail pipe. Just wrap duct tape around compressed air hose, making a tight fit into tail pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom