Fix Dented Original Bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll post pictures soon, but has anyone repaired/ straightened original chrome bumpers? The chrome is good but the dents and pretty bad bend is substantial. I thought maybe using a hydraulic press to reform then (front is worse), then paint black maybe. The steel on those is thick.

I used the press at my work to re-form a bumper, use a larger plate so you don't leave marks

I used the press at my work to re-form a bumper, use a larger plate so you don't leave marks
Hey that's not a bad idea. Maybe a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 underneath for "cushion" to keep from marring the chrome would be helpful too. I'm curious to attempt this with my 20 ton press one weekend, but I'd have to straighten the bumper mount too though so that would involve removing the rivets to get it off the frame. BLARGH

I used a bottle jack against my tire to bend the bumper out, Before I had the ARB bumper you would never be able to tell

Hey that's not a bad idea. Maybe a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 underneath for "cushion" to keep from marring the chrome would be helpful too. I'm curious to attempt this with my 20 ton press one weekend, but I'd have to straighten the bumper mount too though so that would involve removing the rivets to get it off the frame. BLARGH

I used larger steel plates, just didn't want the press round dings into it.
I was able to reform my mounts with port a power and 2 hammers, no need to remove

I used larger steel plates, just didn't want the press round dings into it.
I was able to reform my mounts with port a power and 2 hammers, no need to remove
How'd you go about doing it with the Portapower? I wouldn't have thought of that, so I'm intrigued.

Honestly if I could get decent condition (don't have to be mint, but at least straight) OEM bumpers for cheap until I can get a 4+Plus front and a 4x4Labs rear, I'd gladly go that route.

How'd you go about doing it with the Portapower? I wouldn't have thought of that, so I'm intrigued.

Honestly if I could get decent condition (don't have to be mint, but at least straight) OEM bumpers for cheap until I can get a 4+Plus front and a 4x4Labs rear, I'd gladly go that route.
My bumpers are really good on chrome but bent mainly from impact, I'll try the press, mine are already removed from the LC. I don't see getting them nice enough to leave chrome. The problem is seeing all the really nice pictures of flawless bumpers on restorations.

Anyone still bending and rechroming these. Last one I had done rusted in a few years.

Anyone still bending and rechroming these. Last one I had done rusted in a few years.
There are at least two places in Tucson, Arizona, that do straightening and re-chroming. I had my front bumper done on one truck and it is almost too nice! Not super cheap though.

Can you post a picture of how it turned out?
BFD0D04F-2C7D-4F2E-8D5E-B4E1975A2146.jpeg
B4CF6584-75D9-48BD-A166-98FDF5947A15.jpeg
02C6BA8A-5497-4E3B-9087-8F4068791C60.jpeg

Can you post a picture of how it turned out?
Two after photos and one of the bumper after straightening but before chroming--I was able to/asked to check fit before the chrome went on.

Can you post a picture of how it turned out
Is it cheaper than a new one, original one?
It was like $575 I think. May be a bit more expensive than even a new one—which I think you can find for about $450–but the chrome is honestly maybe thicker than factory. I purchased a new rear bumper because it was more bent up than the front, and I think it was a bit cheaper than the straightening/re-chroming would have been. I think you can find stock rear bumpers for less than $400.

Very nice ,may be better than new one.Last one I had done the guy didn’t triple chrome it so it rusted fairly fast. Mike

Is north Texas quality chrome in Gainesville still in business?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom