Fitting 315/70/17 on gx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would I be able to fit 315/70/17 tires on my gx470? I have a 3 inch lift and new UCA. I can weld so I can do the body mount chop and any trimming. Would a 1 inch body lift be necessary? Do I need aftermarket bumpers or can I just trim it stock?

Would I be able to fit 315/70/17 tires on my gx470? I have a 3 inch lift and new UCA. I can weld so I can do the body mount chop and any trimming. Would a 1 inch body lift be necessary? Do I need aftermarket bumpers or can I just trim it stock?
Im hoping to revive this discussion.
Did you end up doing the body lift? With 35s, I’m still rubbing the body mount even with the chop and the caster adjusted to move the tires forward. Considering the body lift now. I’ve asked around about a body mount relocation but some are saying it will still rub and the lift is necessary. I’m also running a 3” suspension lift already

Im hoping to revive this discussion.
Did you end up doing the body lift? With 35s, I’m still rubbing the body mount even with the chop and the caster adjusted to move the tires forward. Considering the body lift now. I’ve asked around about a body mount relocation but some are saying it will still rub and the lift is necessary. I’m also running a 3” suspension lift already
What’s your wheel offset and/or spacer size?

The bigger the negative offset…the more rubbing.

There’s a few videos on GX470s and fitting 35s. Besides the chopping, trimming, UCAs, and right offset…you also might be putting too much stress on the 8” diff when off-roading.

I did these: Front and Rear Enhancement Bushing Kit - Offset - https://superprousa.com/products/kit204k-superpro-bushing-vehicle-kit with the bushings setup to push the LCA balljoint as far forward as possible, and with SPC UCAs, a body mount chop, and seem to be (barely) clearing 35x12.5xR17 KO2s at about 4 to 4.5 degrees of caster on a Method 703 17x8.5" 0 offset wheel. I'm going to dial in a little less caster and things should be nice. Suspension lift via springs doesn't matter on IFS if you plan to cycle the suspension (ie, use it off road), because you need to clear during all areas of the suspension travel and steering angle that you plan to use.

Edit: forgot to mention I have 1.5" BORA wheel spacers to clear the frame and anti-roll bar at full steering lock.

Last edited:
Picked up my GX as it sits in my profile pic last year on 315/70/17s. KO2s on Method MR312s with UCAs & a body mount chop. It would rub slightly with those tires (50-60%) at full lock on the inside of the wheel well. I swapped to some studded Nokian beasts in the same size for winter and definitely made more contact on the wheel well lining.

I'm wanting to go down to 33s or 34s for summer though. I'm not going to be doing any regearing anytime soon.

What’s your wheel offset and/or spacer size?

The bigger the negative offset…the more rubbing.

There’s a few videos on GX470s and fitting 35s. Besides the chopping, trimming, UCAs, and right offset…you also might be putting too much stress on the 8” diff when off-roading.
Wheels have a -12 offset with 3/4” spacers. Without the spacers I was hitting the inner wheel well pretty bad. I just spoke to someone that upgraded to HD springs in the front and says he’s not experiencing any rubbing. I’m considering that, especially since I’ll be upgrading to a steel bumper w/ winch eventually. But I can’t imagine clearing the inner wheel well without a big offset/spacers. I want to try and avoid a body lift if possible.

In regards to the stress on the axle, I am becoming more aware of that as I am now seeing more discussions about it and I do carry as much weight as the average “overlander” with the RTT, drawer system, fridge and etc… I try to keep that in mind with the trails and terrain we choose. But if it does break on me I will upgrade to something bigger. I’m just praying it doesn’t happen somewhere too remote.

Here’s more info on fitting bigger tires. This video says lift doesn’t help much in avoiding tire rubbing. Wheel offset is the main culprit. Watch the part where he explains the wheel pivot to better understand why wheel offset plays such a big role in tire rubbing

Here’s more info on fitting bigger tires. This video says lift doesn’t help much in avoiding tire rubbing. Wheel offset is the main culprit. Watch the part where he explains the wheel pivot to better understand why wheel offset plays such a big role in tire rubbing

Great video. Thanks for sharing that! A lot more to consider now as I figure out my solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom