First week with my LX470... (HELP!!!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm glad to be a part of this amazing website. I just picked up a new to me '98 LX470 last week and drove it home about 800 miles. It seemed to be the roadtrip from hell. When I first inspected the truck, everything ran fine and worked properly with no CEL.

Then just 200 miles into the drive, I started getting CEL codes. 1st was p0441, then I cleared it with my reader. Never came back. 180 miles later I get p0446 and p0420. Clrades those and they never returned.

About 100 miles later I go to start the truck and simultaneously I get a damn p1330 code along with no power steering. Could these be related?

Bottom line
How to fix p1330?
How to diagnose no power steering? The fluid reservoir is full and there is no steering whine. Is there some electrical component that could cause it to fail? A friend of mine said there's a "steering sensor" in these trucks but I haven't found anything about it.

Any advice or experience fixing these issues?? Feeling hopeless

20210305_085354.jpg

20210305_141601.jpg

Forgot to mention, on top of this, (perhaps I'll create a separate thread), the engine started making a horrible clunking noise, (sounds like a fan?) But also sounds like a dying animal and a dishwasher (that's all I could think of)
I'll post vid here. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Last edited:
1st was p0441, then I cleared it with my reader. Never came back. 180 miles later I get p0446 and p0420
These are all emissions problems. Possibly a faulty charcoal canister, but you’ll need to do some diagnostics.
I get a damn p1330 code
This is an igniter problem. Probably bad coil, but maybe not.
How to diagnose no power steering? The fluid reservoir is full and there is no steering whine. Is there some electrical component that could cause it to fail? A friend of mine said there's a "steering sensor" in these trucks but I haven't found anything about it.
I don’t think 98 model year LX has VGRS, but can’t remember off the top of my head. I suspect this loss of power steering is related to the noise you’re hearing in the engine bay (ie, vane pump died, etc)

I assume the basics were done, like checking fluid levels and condition, before the long drive? No signs of leaks?

@JunkCrzr89 what do you charge for your diagnostic analysis?

These are all emissions problems. Possibly a faulty charcoal canister, but you’ll need to do some diagnostics.

This is an igniter problem. Probably bad coil, but maybe not.

I don’t think 98 model year LX has VGRS, but can’t remember off the top of my head. I suspect this loss of power steering is related to the noise you’re hearing in the engine bay (ie, vane pump died, etc)
Okay. "Vane" pump. I shall look into that
I assume the basics were done, like checking fluid levels and condition, before the long drive? No signs of leaks?
Yes I checked everything. No leaks, no rust no CELS or other dash lights, did carfax, etc

I'd suggest get it to a trusted Toyota mechanic or dealer. I would imagine your sound and your lack of power steering are connected.

I buy a few coils at a time to replace them as they die. I have replaced 5 of mine now but they seem to die in pairs. Here are the ones I use, same as Toyota.

Ignition Coil

Just make sure it works for your year but Denso is the brand Toyota uses. I carry one for a trail spare and it has saved my bacon twice. My cruiser has some miles on it though.

I'd suggest get it to a trusted Toyota mechanic or dealer. I would imagine your sound and your lack of power steering are connected.

I buy a few coils at a time to replace them as they die. I have replaced 5 of mine now but they seem to die in pairs. Here are the ones I use, same as Toyota.

Ignition Coil

Just make sure it works for your year but Denso is the brand Toyota uses. I carry one for a trail spare and it has saved my bacon twice. My cruiser has some miles on it though.
I'm going to get some of these. Thank-you 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom