First time to do bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellow Mudders,
I've got new bushings on the way and have a HF 20 ton press. After reading several threads it looks like I need something like Wit's End Bushing Press tool kit to make the job easier to do. This will be the first time I've ever done bushings and I believe I understand the basics. But looking at the attached image, I believe the press tool will actually press against the metal rim marked by the red arrow. At least the pictures I've seen look to be doing so.. Just looking for verification.
Thanks, Danny

LCArmBushing.jpg

Hi fellow Mudders,
I've got new bushings on the way and have a HF 20 ton press. After reading several threads it looks like I need something like Wit's End Bushing Press tool kit to make the job easier to do. This will be the first time I've ever done bushings and I believe I understand the basics. But looking at the attached image, I believe the press tool will actually press against the metal rim marked by the red arrow. At least the pictures I've seen look to be doing so.. Just looking for verification.
Thanks, Danny

View attachment 2297000
Absolutely get his tool kit. It is worth it for the time savings and it eliminates the possibility of jacking up a set of bushings upon install because it uses the bolt to keep everything aligned.
Word of advice: Don't use the press within 15 ft of anything breakable. Some of the bushings can be violent when they first pop loose. The bushing doen't fly out, but all the crap you have stacked and aligned on the press tend to jump across the room when it releases.
Definitely wear your steel toed flip-flops and safety sunglasses and latex gloves.

The tool kit will save you alot of headache. I did two sets without it and wished I bought it.

When the bushing pops, you will know it because your shorts will be soiled.

You can put the new bushings in the freezer overnight and they will go in easier because the cold will temporary shrink them. This is not required, just easier.

I'd recommend getting new bolts and nuts as needed. Toyota actually calls out that they are only used once. Some of the bolts have little Spurs that grip the mounting holes and acts like a lock washer. Some of the nuts have these as well so pay attention of the orientation and location when you're removing.

Oh and make sure you install the bushings in the correct orientation. It may be different than how they were originally because it was updated. Someone just posted this image a few threads up.

Finally, do not torque the bolts until all of the vehicle weight is back on them or the new bushings will not last.

As said above some of the bolts have little tabs. When removing be sure to hold that side and only turn the other side. Good rule of thumb is to turn the side with the washer on it and hold the other side.

Also do not use lube when pressing in the new bushings. Freezing does help but I was able to get mine in without doing it easy enough.

Be sure to have good arbor plates, i'd be hesitant to use the ones that came with your HF press, I can see them exploding when the bushings let go. For what its worth I have the 20 ton HF press too and it works well, I just bought SWAG Offroad Arbors which are far superior machined steel vs the cast HF stuff. I was able to get mine out using just the arbors but having the right sized pipe to press the outgoing bushing into would be ideal. When pressing the new ones in you can use two of the Witt's end tools, one to press with and the other on the bottom to allow the rubber/sleeve to drop into.

Be prepared for the bushings to load up and the release several times on the way out. Will scare the crap outa ya every time.

The hole and recess of each tool corresponds to the hardware used for that bushing. Put the bolt into the hole in the tool before putting on the bushing and putting it under the press. The bolt prevents the bushing from ever popping out.

For what it’s worth, if you’ve got a collection of old bearings and socket sets you can change them without a special tool pretty easily. I had no issues at all just using a press, only tricky part was making sure the bushes were aligned perfectly before pressing in (I was using castor correction ones). So yeah, spend the money if you want but it can be done if you’ve got the right size parts kicking around).

For what it’s worth, if you’ve got a collection of old bearings and socket sets you can change them without a special tool pretty easily. I had no issues at all just using a press, only tricky part was making sure the bushes were aligned perfectly before pressing in (I was using castor correction ones). So yeah, spend the money if you want but it can be done if you’ve got the right size parts kicking around).

For those considering this, grind down the face of the socket or bearing so you have a sharper edge instead of a curved edge.

Good point, I was lucky enough to have the perfect sized bearing... I always keep old bearing cases as they prove really useful for jobs like these.

No doubt the tool is useful (especially if you’re going to do multiple vehicles), just worth giving it a go first without (unless it’s your daily driver).

I will put in another vote for the wits' end tool kit. I've posted these pictures up in other threads, but things can go pretty haywire using a socket or generic puck. Wits' end tool guarantees proper alignment by placing the bolt through the puck and into the center hole of the bushing.

panhard 2.jpg
panhard.jpg

I'm convinced! I ordered the kit last night :)

Let us know how it goes and feel free to post pictures! I need to replace mine sometime soon and any information is helpful.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to post pictures! I need to replace mine sometime soon and any information is helpful.
Will do!

No spectators, make sure your affairs are in order and have an extra pair of shorts you can change into after you crap yourself. LOL I have the same set up. I don't have Joey's pucks, wish I did I have almost everything else he offers :).

The hole and recess of each tool corresponds to the hardware used for that bushing. Put the bolt into the hole in the tool before putting on the bushing and putting it under the press. The bolt prevents the bushing from ever popping out.

I suppose there were instructions I probably should have read... Hope I can remember this in 25 years when they need changed again. Seriously though the Witt's end set is worth every penny.

I didn't have problems with the bushings flying out, more that they would load up and then move down about 1/4 inch at a time with a really loud bang. Bolt would probably have helped with that too by keeping everything in alignment.

Ready to go:
Have a press, Wits’ End press tools and bushings kit from another vendor Akella.

E68ECE68-2061-442D-B37E-AE55B14307CF.jpeg

EF550D7C-1B70-4E78-8D9E-868EE1470EBC.jpeg

First up are the front lateral control arm bushings. First two are of the axle side and the next two are of the frame side: *Note* pictures are out of order. First and last are axle side, middle two are frame side.

41D6E617-BC5D-425C-88D4-61B172B1C356.jpeg

762BF165-F9D9-488F-877D-DECB00E76A6E.jpeg

60A0A978-F52E-4BF3-B3B8-B22E499E8219.jpeg

50DD503A-4B33-4426-8515-231F8AD93FE0.jpeg

Quick video of popping out the first one. Apologies for video moving around so much, hard to hold phone and pump that press at the same time. I did discover I need better clamps.. About 12 seconds in was the first pop and about 22 seconds in the second pop, by that time I had to stop and reset the clamps. Pressing in the new bushings was very easy to do. I am really happy I purchased Wits' End press tools. Made the job much easier. I've only done the front lateral control arm tonight. Will do more tomorrow night and this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom