First Post and a Bonehead Mistake... Plastic Cap in Front Diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up a super clean triple locked 95 FZJ80 a few weeks ago. It had seized caliper and what looked like seeping from the back of one of the steering knuckle. So before I even registered it I decided to rebuild the Birfs. New calipers, rotors, bearings, seals, all went fine except when I snapped a few bolts off the back of the back of the inner knuckle seals. They came out just fine with easy-outs.

I pulled a bonehead move and dropped a gear oil cap in the front diff when filling the front diff.

I spend 2 hours and 5 quarts of gear oil trying to flush that turd out without success. I can feel it with my pinky but can't get that SOB out.

So as I see it the options are:
1) Pull the front diff. Not fun, but also no damage possible.
2) Leave that SOB in there and let it get pulverized and drain the scraps out. What are the chances of this causing damage??
3) Keep fishing and hope to get lucky.

I am looking for some advice. Thanks.

Your choice, some have had luck with plan #2. It's a good idea to take the cap off before using!:hillbilly:

Yea... The plan was to use a siphon to put the oil in. I saw how much room there was and put just the tip in to see if I could just squeeze it in, then.... oops.

wont that plastic float in gear oil? Fill it all the way up, see if you can float it up where you can get to it, then drain back down

I think I’d try something of the below variety and if not successful go with #2.

879C68C7-E3D4-44C5-B82E-441FDD17404C.jpeg

Let it ride. It'll be fine.

I'm thinking that too. It's a plastic cap and will just get ground up and spat out. I mean, I'd try and grab it, but if not possible, I'd drive and drain in 100 miles or so.

You are not the only one. Maybe contact concretejungle and see if he left his cap in his rear diff when he did the same thing back in '04.

once in a lifetime screw-up

I would try some tweezers or angled forceps as @taccruiser97 mentioned...otherwise I think the plastic is soft enough that if it gets caught in the gears it's going to mulch it.

Sounds like the rig is FUBAR. Luckily I love difficult projects, I'll give you a few hundred for it.

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I saw how much room there was and put just the tip in to see if I could just squeeze it in, then.... oops.

Yup, I've made that excuse before too... you're lucky it isn't pregnant. :rofl:

The cap is poly, it will grind up, but I would be afraid of the shreds blocking a bearing, or worse make a bearing skid instead of roll.

It will cause you zero problems. Run it.

I think there is no way you're going to be able to fish it out. If it were me, I'd run it and drain out the pieces.

Did you lift the axle and rotate the tires to see if it will drop to the bottom? (Obviously draining the fluid again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom