First Land Cruiser, First Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shortly after I finished my 4runner build I got an amazing offer and decided to sell. I was looking for another 3rd Gen 4runner for most of my aftermarket parts to transfer right over, but I got to talking to one of my buddies on here and he convinced me to check out some 100 series Land Cruisers. Two days later I found a pretty good deal and picked 1 up and the build has begun.

4runner.jpg

Here is my 4runner that I finished building in November. This pic is without the last big project I completed the lift kit.

First Pic.JPG

This is what I got. 98 Land Cruiser. This is the first picture I got the day after purchasing because I had to drive 4 hours ish to get there just to look at it. After test driving and checking it out I decided to bring it on home. 10 Hours total, it was out my house it was a long day and I had work the next day, but it was worth every minute.

As soon as i sent the picture to my buddy, a member on here, he started asking for the bug guard, now i understand why he wanted me to buy a 100 series Land Cruiser.

First thing I like to do when I get a new Vehicle is get all new fluids in it and start keeping track of maintenance. Within 5 days of owning it, I have changed all fluids out except power steering. Full synthetic everywhere and got some brand new Toyota red in the radiator. I also removed the stock side steps and the bug guard so my buddy can get for recommending such a great vehicle. So far this car has been a dream to work on compared to my 4runner. While I was underneath doing all this I noticed my driver side ball joint boot has ripped and leaking grease so I decided to get 2 new ball joints and will be replacing both of them when my lift gets here and do it all at once.

Yesterday I got the e-mail that my Old Man Emu lift will be here on Saturday the 31st. Not looking forward to the install because I have never dealt with torsion bars, but it should be a good learning experience.

after steps removed.JPG

As it sits right now with steps removed and bug guard off.

Looks good mang. I think you'll be happy with the purchase. But you are correct, the only reason I wanted you to get one was so I could have that bug guard.

Pretty funny that you ended up with one almost identical to mine. We need to meet up and wheel this year.
IMG_2844.JPG

Welcome! You'll love the 100, can't beat them. I've owned a couple 3rd Gen T4R and the 100 is a big step up. Look forward to seeing your build

Pretty funny that you ended up with one almost identical to mine. We need to meet up and wheel this year.
View attachment 1372003

Yes, when I get out I am trying to take a week or so off in May so maybe we could meet up somewhere, after all you got me started with the yota life :).. also post office was closed today bug guard will be out tomorrow lol

well, after desperately searching for skid plates because when i bought this the p.o had removed them and decided to get rid of them. the oem ones are close to 600 for both of them and aftermarket close to 1000 or more, i started the search for some cheaper replacements. i looked for used but even those are ridiculous. so i found these Lexus GX 470 / Land Cruiser 100 Steel Under Tray Skid Plate Belly Pan LX470 | eBay these skid plates are coming from Poland for an extremely cheap price at 229 shipped. so i will keep you updated on when they arrive for installation and performance

well, after desperately searching for skid plates because when i bought this the p.o had removed them and decided to get rid of them. the oem ones are close to 600 for both of them and aftermarket close to 1000 or more, i started the search for some cheaper replacements. i looked for used but even those are ridiculous. so i found these Lexus GX 470 / Land Cruiser 100 Steel Under Tray Skid Plate Belly Pan LX470 | eBay these skid plates are coming from Poland for an extremely cheap price at 229 shipped. so i will keep you updated on when they arrive for installation and performance

Nice find i am interested to see the build quality when you get them they say they have them for most models of landcruisers if theyre good ill probably order for my lx and 80

Have fun with the new 100. What are your goals for the build?

Those skids are 2mm thick, that's just .078" or just a bit thicker than 1/16" thick. I bet they'll keep the underside cleaner but I wouldn't go leaning on them hoping for rock protection. Goods news is, with the OME lift you have coming, and the lack of hanging cruiser parts you'll buy a good bit of clearance under your hundred.

Last edited:
Have fun with the new 100. What are your goals for the build?

Those skids are 2mm thick, that's just .078" or just a bit thicker than 1/16" thick. I bet they'll keep the underside cleaner but I wouldn't go leaning on them hoping for rock protection. Goods news is, with the OME lift you have coming, and the lack of hanging cruiser parts you'll buy a good bit of clearance under your hundred.

Yeah, I wasn't looking for any crazy protection, but it will be better than having nothing under there as it sits now. I am just hoping it bolts up nicely and gives a little protection.

Goals for the build right now is to have something I can travel with my wife and live out of for days at a time but also to be accomplish so medium difficulty obstacles until I further my experience.

Well, today was a nice day off work and had some time to work on the cruiser. I had purchased an ARB Air compressor CMKA12 for my 4runner with the purpose of airing up tires but never installed so it was time to install on the cruiser. Overall it was a fairly easy process, but it was time consuming to try to make it look as clean as possible here are some pictures of the install.
IMG_9038.JPG
IMG_9035 (1).JPG

Shortly after the install and testing of the air compressor for leaks.... Christmas came a little late from UPS so it looks like I will have a busy weekend ahead of me getting the install completed with new UCA and new LBJ.

IMG_9039.JPG

I am located in Sneads Ferry abotu 45 minutes north but will be moving to Wilmington, NC in April. We need to meet up.

Make sure you guys introduce yourself in the ONSC section their is a few guys out by the beach and i you make it over to the mountains let me know.

Make sure you guys introduce yourself in the ONSC section their is a few guys out by the beach and i you make it over to the mountains let me know.

Where is the ONSC section? Is it on this forum? Planning on heading to the Mountains in Jan. Colletsville, NC

Interested to see how those go. My oem are gone, I've been running naked nearly a year on my 98...just up from you in Virginia Beach. Definitely post your thoughts...I wasn't ready to drop 1K on skids with the other work going on right now.

Interested to see how those go. My oem are gone, I've been running naked nearly a year on my 98...just up from you in Virginia Beach. Definitely post your thoughts...I wasn't ready to drop 1K on skids with the other work going on right now.
They take about 30-45 days to get here so once i get them and install them i will update on the install and hoping to get them before a trip in Jan to test them for protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom