First Gen 4Runner Stock Rear Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for stock replacement rear springs. No lift wanted or needed. If they help with sagging I could tolerate a little heavier rate. Thus far I'm finding few choices (listed below). If anyone has experience with any of these stock replacement springs or recommend others that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, S.

LCE
RockAuto (Dayton Parts)
Spring Works
Dorman

I've never been disappointed with anything from LC Engineering. Other than their 10-12 week lead time, would be a great option. Rock Auto is just OK, never bought springs from them. Have you considered Alcan? Very highly thought of in the Toyota world. I'm guessing you ruled out OME? As for the sagging, it's because they were so soft they failed prematurely. New springs would likely fix this.

Yes, sadly OME only makes lift springs, no stock height. I'll check Alcan, that's a new name for me.
Thanks, S.

What I found. LCE and Alcan are made to order and presumably better quality. Would be interested in any first hand experiences with any of these.
S.

For a pair of springs:
LCE $495 (10-12 weeks)
RockAuto (Dayton Parts) $440
Spring Works $325
Dorman $104
Alcan $895 (4-5) weeks

Based on price alone I'd stay away from the Dorman. Likely chinese, they don't actually say on their website where the springs are made. Which probably means not USA. If it was me, it would be between Alcan and LCE. Which is more important, time or money? Good Luck.

I installed these on my 86' 18 months ago and they are working great. Original stance and are holding up fantastic.

I think 80's 4runners actually came with the same springs as the pickups and all of them had a sagging problem. I remember everybody was doing the "zuk mod" back in the day. It's no wonder why Toyota switched to coils the following generation.
if you scroll to the very bottom of ZUK's page he has some more examples

you may also consider ordering the ome springs and removing a leaf or 2 but those generals above look pretty good
also, your old rear springs may still have value as people use them for solid axle swaps in the front in a "RUF" (rears up front) setup.

Last edited:
I think 80's 4runners actually came with the same springs as the pickups and all of them had a sagging problem. I remember everybody was doing the "zuk mod" back in the day. It's no wonder why Toyota switched to coils the following generation...
The 2nd gen coils also typically sag. Fortunately there's a relatively inexpensive fix for them with aftermarket Moog.

SD and General are probably the least expensive for the 1st gen. 1984-1988 Toyota 4 Runner - Leaf Spring (Rear - PD/3/1 Leaves) [90-119] | $148.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts - https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1593&gclid=CjwKCAjwl6OiBhA2EiwAuUwWZWm4CuEUnajzQV6gOePVnvn8J8O6izwvxgNwl5ZhUXBlyQxqbiJLfhoCVgoQAvD_BwE

any JAPANESE springs......tired of USA junk!

Try reaching out to this place, our shop had a few custom made springs for some of our fleet trucks.

All really good resources, especially the Zuk "add-a-coil" mod. Never seen that before. I ordered LCE set this morning as I have some time waiting for powder coating, paint body and few other vendors. Thanks for all feedback, good stuff.
S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom